1986 Venture Royale question...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pighuntingpuppy

Reaction score
How coveted are these 1300 engines in these bikes? I have an opportunity to get one cheap as a non runner. What are issues with these engines and is it worth it to get the bike cheap and part out?

If you get it cheap you can use the short block if it's good. The body set and other parts of the bike will usually part out well and even the carbs can be donors for the Vmax

What would the engine sell for? This one has 65K on it according to the ad. The whole bike with clean title is going for $300. I would make a move on it if I knew ripping out the engine would be worth it to someone.

Im planning on a 1300 transplant into my Vmax. Not a high priority and it's just as much for the different gear ratios as the extra CCs. My tour bike is a 1300 Venture, ratios are about where I want them for the Vmax too.

Brother PHP; Not much call for them. As Sean stated, would be most value as a short block to a old vmax. Less compression and same as vmax on a 86 model 2nd gear. Heads cams etc all low performance. Carbs are 34,s as opposed to 35,s for vmax. Cam shims, carb parts are good to have. Some like chrome side covers on max,s. Good luck

The 1300's (86-93)
are the SAME compression. Move over the Vmax heads/cams and a few misc and have 10% more power output.
have interchangeable diff's that are 10% more highway friendly
have the same 35mm carbs but don't have the provision for a manual choke bracket
have a similar trans design as the recall 85 transmissions (change to the modern dog type design in 86 on the VMax). These are stronger in normal use then the Vmax but on aggressive constant shipping they are best to swap out. The overall gearing is very similar but not the exact same on 1st and 5th ratios (ony a few mph different)
are by far the more popular amoung the Venture owners so what you don't use on the VMax will sell to them. Especially any main body work that is not damaged

Sean

Yamaha lists xvz13 as 4 34bds mikunis and they list the compression on both vmx12 and xvz13 @10.5 but cylinder pressure@206 vs 171psi. Heads don't get ya compression since they are near identical in cc. However I think the venture piston is lower or dished and vmax is flat or domed (can't really remember). I run venture diff on my vmax on road and vmax diff on my venture . Helps both.

I'd take the whole bike if you were close (to Wichita Ks).
10.5 with flat-top pistons. They are larger volume squeezing into the same chamber with Vmax heads. The Vmax pistons are domed to get to the same 10.5 compression.

Back