• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1986 VMax mint in Florida for sale

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have a Blue 1986 Vmax with 30K miles for sale in north Florida. It is a thing of beauty with nothing wrong with it. It's listed in Cycle trader for $5500
new pipes 1.jpg

Sure is. Makes me want to go out and clean my 86 up a bit. Good luck! Even as nice as it is, I suspect you'll have some trouble at that price point.
What is the build date on the VIN plate (on the steering head badge)? Might as well ask for the last 5 digits of the VIN. I have an '86, I wonder how-close they are.

I think my build date is fall of '85, I don't have the bike here to look, I think I have a pic of the steering head though.

You're not going to believe the last
I think my build date is fall of '85, I don't have the bike here to look, I think I have a pic of the steering head though.

Hope this beautiful 86 sells quickly and for a nice price. I actually think I am partial to the earlier bikes. More understated, more subtle colors, more patina in some cases.

You guys are not going to believe the last digits in the VIN on my 86:

Is it possible that Fire Medic was wrong about the devil bike? Maybe it was this one and not the 05?

"Na-nanananananananana" (not listening) Like some buildings don't have a 13th floor, high-powered motorcycles shouldn't have 666 #'s for VIN's. Bonus points if you know what type of art this is (be specific).

13 Floor Elevators acid art.jpg

Had to Google! I had never heard of them. I even listen to to *You're gonna miss me" and did not recognize it...

To me they sound not-just garage, but proto-punk. You can imagine all the crew-cut Texans of the day, just not reacting well to the appearance of these guys, and their message about what was important to them. LBJ was in-office, he's from the Austin area. In 1967, he founded his re-election campaign at a notable Austin landmark, the Driskill Hotel, one of the historic buildings in Austin. How-historic? It was used as the home of the Texas legislature, before the current Capitol Building was built. The local rich and powerful often kept suites there for their business, and their "other business." A side entrance was used to ferry women in and out without them proceeding through the main lobby, where those other women might be easier to-spot by the wives of the rich and powerful.

LBJ decided not to continue to run for re-election, and R. Milhous N. gladly replaced him in the White House, with the help of what he referred-to as the 'silent majority.'

We've stayed at the Driskill, the service and location is good, the rooms are comfortable and if you're into myths, urban legends and ghosts, there is plenty of that, you can take a tour to learn its history. Then go to Franklin's, and wait in-line for the barbeque, or choose another of the local restaurants doing it 'their style.'

Screwloose, while paisley is suggested by the french curves and repeating patterns, it's something-else. Paisley is usually more-ornate, with filigree. The artwork pictured is representative of this style which is nearly 60 years old.

Last edited:
To me they sound not-just garage, but proto-punk.

Screwloose, while paisley is suggested by the french curves and repeating patterns, it's something-else. Paisley is usually more-ornate, with filigree. The artwork pictured is representative of this style which is nearly 60 years old.
Had to look up filigree, but it still appears to me that they have basically used the Paisley Pattern to find their own graphical mood.

I'm still trying to pick up your "Bonus points if you know what type of art this is (be specific).", so if you are talking about musical art, then after listening to DM's suggestion of "You're gonna miss me", and considering you have very diverse knowledge, then it sounds to me they like to play in E Mixolydian mode.

Oh hayell. It's contagious. I had to Google Mixolydian. We're in for it now...

Meanwhile, the gentleman from Daytona Beach is just trying to sell a motorcycle.

Back off topic: Living in Ocala for almost 12 years, I spent a lot of time in the Daytona/Ormond/New Smyrna beach area. One of our favorite haunts along SR40 toward Ormond was a little place in Astor called "The Real McCoy". Home of the gatorburger, you know. Had more than a few gatorburgers (and beers) in that joint.

Wonder if it's still there...

Oh hayell. It's contagious. I had to Google Mixolydian. We're in for it now...

Back off topic: Living in Ocala for almost 12 years, I spent a lot of time in the Daytona/Ormond/New Smyrna beach area. One of our favorite haunts along SR40 toward Ormond was a little place in Astor called "The Real McCoy". Home of the gatorburger, you know. Had more than a few gatorburgers (and beers) in that joint.

Wonder if it's still there...
"C'mon in and cop a piece 'o tail, it's the Real McCoy!"

New Smyrna Beach is Outlaws territory. Supposedly, Florida is Outlaws territory. I suspect more-than one Outlaw in the local chapter is nicknamed, "Gator." Speaking of people named "Gator," one of my favorite movies with redneck stereotypes:

And for dessert, how-'bout some 'o-that "shakey puddin'?" You want that to-be "the real McCoy!"

The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker Band, Wet Willie, Stealer's Wheel, Grinder's Switch, Charlie Daniels Band, The Allman Brothers, Johnnie and Edgar Winter, Jim Kweskin, Country Joe and the Fish, POCO, Leon Russell, The Charlatans, Doug Kershaw, Traveling Wilburys, New Riders, The Dead and their spin-offs (one mentioned), Bad Company, .38 Special, Lynrd Skynrd, Black Oak Arkansas, Canned Heat, Creedence, The Band, and many others, often from the 1960's/'70's, but not exclusively. Country rock, Southern rock, based in the blues, electrified, whatever you want to call it. Great music on the road, or just at home. I left-off the Big Boys, though I hit a couple.

Last edited:
“Grinderswitch”. (but points for doing it from memory)

Southern Rock. Growing up in North Carolina, the very first concert I ever saw live was Black Oak Arkansas backed up by Blackfoot.

I also recall (1971ish) going to a Marshall Tucker Band concert at Lenoir Rhyne college PE Monroe auditorium in Hickory, North Carolina. They were backed up by a then relatively unknown band whose name we had difficulty pronouncing: L-eye-nard Sk-eye-nard. (They blew the Marshall Tucker band out of the water. We were impressed. Apparently, so were a lot of people.)

Last edited:
Back