1986 VMAX W/ 1992 Engine - Swap issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1986vmonster

Reaction score
Hello,

I just swapped a 1992 engine into my 1986 Vmax but the coil pick up wiring is different than the original wiring harness connections.

Old original engine seized up and new engine came from ebay w/ 17k miles. 55k miles on bike currently. Bike is equipped with the following:

Fulll chrome Venture rear end. Cobra exhaust. Vboost delete intake. Stainless steel braided brake/clutch kit. Racing aluminum radiator. 180 rear tire. Stage 7 jet kit...

So I need the 1990-up wiring harness and the CDI box if I am correct.

Do I need anything else to get this bike running?

Thanks1

Yes, pick-up coil & crank rotor from a 1990+ bike, plus whatever else is different on the wire harness from the early setup (sensors). I am sure others will pitch-in.

You will find it much easier to swap the flywheel and pickup coil then to get the wiring of the bike updated.

I thought the same as Sean. A new harness requires a lot of parts removal to route a replacement harness. If you gave ever used a giant puller, it's a piece of cake and you just pulling a side cover really. I know all the parts you need are available on this Forum. CaptainKyle has the parts you mentioned for very reasonable right now. Good luck.

At this point in time I would like to do the smallest amount of work possible. So swapping out the old cover with the pick ups and rotor are the easiest way to accomplish this.

Does anyone else have any advice? I would really like to get 1 ride in before winter is in full swing.

Thanks in advance!

At this point in time I would like to do the smallest amount of work possible. So swapping out the old cover with the pick ups and rotor are the easiest way to accomplish this.

Does anyone else have any advice? I would really like to get 1 ride in before winter is in full swing.

Thanks in advance!
The easiest route is just changing the flywheel & pick up coils otherwise you have to change the wiring harness & all sensors & the CDI. Its not a hard job but more stuff you have to buy if you don't already have it. I changed my 89 to the new style & it was pretty simple.

A wiring harness & CDI are easy to change you can use the same kickstand switch if you change the connector.

I personally like the new style TCI better It would take you around 200 bucks to finish changing to the new style with used parts. I say if you want to ride now change swap your old parts out but hang on to the new style stuff & if you ever have problems with your CDI go ahead & buy the rest of the new style stuff & switch it out.

Very thorough CaptainKyle. I will follow your advice as you seem to know your sh*t and I will keep all the newer stuff around in case I upgrade in the future. Again thank you for your advice. Dying to ride this V4 on wheels.

Just make sure you have a good puller with grade 8 bolts . A cheap puller will do nothing but make you mad. Sean has a video on here somewhere. Its not a bad job with the right tools but can make some one mad easy trying to use cheap tools.

It is not a have to but I zip tie the starter clutch gear to the flywheel & it keeps your starter clutch parts from popping out when the flywheel comes lose. It is a good time to go ahead & inspect your starter clutch to since its almost off at this point.

I'd possibly be interested in your 92 pickup coil if you don't want to use it. I don't mind either year ignition since the newer CDI boxes we sell (ignitech) work well with both.

The 1992 pickup coil has 17k known miles on it. Last night I removed the side cover/stator and pick coil from my 1986 engine so I am preparing to swap out the flywheels next. What would you consider dollar wise for the 92 pickup?? Have any trades in mind? Also I have a stator from the same engine and mileage.

Thanks for your advice. Things are moving along now :)

Latest posts

Back