1988 vmax purchase

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuup

Reaction score
Hello, gang. I've always wanted me a vmax and I'm really considering grabbing this 1988 vmax since it's finally one I can reasonably get my hands on atm. I'll look it over as best I can, of course, but I'm wondering if some of you more experienced folks have some specific things I ought to look for? It's kinda hard to find as much good info on older bikes in general. The exhaust looks pretty rusty but that's no big deal if that's all it is, and as far as I can tell it looks pretty fantastic otherwise. 21000 miles.

It's about 3 hours away, so my plan is to give it the dickens in a test ride to see if it's still got what it's supposed to have then ride it home. I'm hoping I can squeeze out a "we'll help you out of you can't make it home" clause out of them lol. I figure, worst case scenario, it just doesn't make it and I've wasted time and money lol. In that regard, I've never ridden a bike with more than 60hp so I'm really unsure how it should "feel". It could be getting half the power it's supposed to and have more than anything I've been on. Is there decent way to kinda test that without going too crazy? Or is it one of those things where it'll be obvious lol

Anyway, I only started riding last year on my 30th birthday and it's been a dream of mine since I was just a young kid. Three bikes that have always been on the list are the VMAX, the Goldwing and the Sportster. Already got the Sportster, so one down so far haha!

Anyway sorry, this was long winded. I just wanna know if there's anything specific to keep my eyes peeled for. I did check the forum, so I hope I'm not creating something redundant. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EVNM5SDUcAQkaSc.jpg
    EVNM5SDUcAQkaSc.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 14
It's not a stock 88, it's got a 4 to 1 and possibly a stage 7 jet kit to boot, so you might want hold off on giving it the Dickens, or you'll buying a wreck if your not used that power. Give it good hit in 2nd gear those earlier maxes are known due 2nd gear issues, you'll know it if it does it. Ask all the questions you can think of. Ask if the carbs are stock, who did the work, double d mod (two clutch springs), updated shift segment, if it's sat, how long it sat for, look in the fuel tank, look at the oil....... Looks like it has SS brake lines already....... Check the last 4 numbers on the DOT on the tires first 2 are the week, and the last 2 are the year they were produced. They will be in a slightly recessed oval....... I'm know in leaving some out, been a few years since I owned a gen 1....... Listen for a whirring noise when you first turn the key on if vboost is still active then chances are it's a stock carb setup, or very least a stage 1 kit.

Latest posts

Back