1990 front brake rotor sizing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairballrm

Reaction score
I replaced a warped rear about 6 months ago.

Now, I have a warped front rotor. Bars shake during freeway on ramp launch, I can no longer take my hands off the bars and coast. I can spin the front tire and clearly ID offending rotor. I have fresh pads, fork seals, and head bearings installed.

I had been balking at the cost of new rotors. Last weekend I purchased some used ones from a forum member. Thank you Tim!

I pulled my front wheel and laid the used rotors on top of the existing ones. I discovered that they are 10mm larger in diameter. The current rotors (I believe to me original) are vented and measure 282mm. My newly acquired used rotors are solid and measure 292mm. Mounting bolt patterns match and I personally removed them from a Vmax wheel. I checked the wear pattern on the pads and it "appears" that there is 5mm of radius more room.

My bike is a 1990. I don't yet know what year Tim's was.

Hmmmmmm
Rick

'85-'92 use 282 mm rotors, the '93+ are larger in diameter though the mounting holes are the same whatever the year. Yes, the early ones are vented, the later models are solid.

I'm surprised you were able to fit your calipers onto the larger later-model rotors.

Used rotors came off a 96. I learned here (the search button is your friend) that the front rotors were enlarged round about 92-93. Bike is apart, new rotors on order.
Upon further observation, it became pretty apparent that the rotors are not interchangeable.

Cheap Chinese solid rotors on E-bay work really well. I've been running them for a few years and on my second set of HH pads. And they are still good. The stainless they use is very hard. Three were under $150 at the time!They've gone up a little, but not much. I don't think you could buy 1 OEM for that price,new.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 10
Back