1st Gen V-Max 1993 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtisP

Reaction score
VMax Year
677B5A48-23FB-4434-BA1F-0781ECF3B4F2.jpeg
It needs a little sorting, and a repaint. But I am very happy with my new purchase. The throttle cables are not routed correctly so they don’t come all the way back to idle unless I roll it back manually. No big deal.
32,000km (Canadian bike)

Nice, enjoy it.
Thank you, I plan on it.
few upgrades already done to it
Holeshot Performance rear shocks
Holeshot Performance fork brace
Drop in K and N filter
Corbin seat

No huge plans for it, repaint this winter, a few tid bits Will be powder coated,
Was thinking of doing the venture final drive swap for some more touring oriented rides, but I have only found (locally) one for a 1984 and one for a 1985, which I don’t think will work

Last edited:
It has the '85-'92 front end & brakes on it, not a '93's equipment. You might want to check the engine letters/numbers to see what year it is. Take a look at the fork stops and see if they're damaged/missing.

Maybe ? Frame is 1993 by VIN, tenth digit is P
No frame damage or steering stop damage. I did a full safety on it.

Follow the left front side of the engine ignition wires, the pickup coil, which sends the signal from the stator. See how-many wires there are in the connector. It should be 2 wires for a 1990-2007.

VMax late pick-up coil 1990-up.jpg

The service manual at the end (pp. 8-24 & 8-25) has routing for the wires and throttle cables. If there isn't enough slack in the throttle cables, it will hang-up like you said.

Thank you - I will refer to the factory service manual this morning and inspect it.

Incorrectly installed throttle cables at the junction block, while was apart I took the time to lubricate the cables and check carb sync.
Bike is in surprisingly good shape

Was thinking of doing the venture final drive swap for some more touring oriented rides, but I have only found (locally) one for a 1984 and one for a 1985, which I don’t think will work
The 84/85 Venture diff will NOT work. You need an 86-93 version.

The 84/85 Venture diff will NOT work. You need an 86-93 version.

Thanks Mr Morley. I think for the time being I will keep the stock diff in it,
If I change the diff - do I require the venture rear wheel as well ? I am fond of my matching wheels

No, your Vmax wheel will work just fine as long as you stick to that year range of diffs

7C65BF52-D462-40B8-9EA9-56603F40DF79.jpeg21E824BD-54A4-4C2C-88AD-086DA3F73EF3.jpeg1E566367-CDE5-46C8-BC97-8BE3842B1EE3.jpeg216E8648-5AAF-477F-B6AB-8C4E9A9307B6.jpeg
The bike faired better than I did - broken heel and 12 stitches in my left arm (was wearing a jacket but not a leather/armoured jacket)
Came out of a parking lot, grabbed second gear. Hit a shitty section of road and lost control. 30 years of riding dirt bike and motorcycle. First ever accident.

So, after some humility I have decided to order a new Hindle 4 into 1, I have a set of Magura master cylinders (clutch and brake to match) with a set of super bike handlebars.
I already had a new set of turn signals I had not yet installed because I was waiting until winter gear down. And I will be ditching these god awful Metzler tires and sticking with bridgestones like I have in the past.

I am in Canada - so have a great thanksgiving weekend to the rest of you canucks :)

With a oxy-acetylene torch, you should be able to heat the shifter and bend it back into shape. Don't do it on the bike. Put it into a vise.

What Metzlers do you have? Or, did you have? 880's? I don't even know what's current for them anymore. The bike should have soft tires, and that's just part of owning a muscle bike. Hard tires, turning a corner or reaching oily, sandy, broken, or wet pavement, and grabbing a new gear and trying to accelerate hard (some or all of these) will result too-often in your circumstances.

One of our long-term members just discovered the left case round 'plate' is an expensive replacement, and may not be available anymore, except used, or new old stock in some dealer's inventory. Fortunately there are bike 'breakers' now advertising on the site.

With a oxy-acetylene torch, you should be able to heat the shifter and bend it back into shape. Don't do it on the bike. Put it into a vise.

What Metzlers do you have? Or, did you have? 880's? I don't even know what's current for them anymore. The bike should have soft tires, and that's just part of owning a muscle bike. Hard tires, turning a corner or reaching oily, sandy, broken, or wet pavement, and grabbing a new gear and trying to accelerate hard (some or all of these) will result too-often in your circumstances.

One of our long-term members just discovered the left case round 'plate' is an expensive replacement, and may not be available anymore, except used, or new old stock in some dealer's inventory. Fortunately there are bike 'breakers' now advertising on the site.

These came on the bike, I believe they are 880s - I never been a fan of Metzlers but it would be silly to re and re tires that are brand new.
I am wondering if a venture side cover will fit ? Local wrecking yard has two there but no VMax. The other yard has one max but they are closed for our Canadian long weekend to go our and check it out.
I do have another shifter (somewhere) to put on it

Shinkos are a great buy.
As far as the venture covers.yes they will fit.
But you need to use entire cover. Venture cover use venture insert.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back