1995 front fork oil level/capacity.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezer66

Reaction score
I replaced the seals and refilled the oil. I put in 620ml of oil, but I am over 6 inches from the top of the tube to the oil, with the fork bottomed out. I followed Sean's Youtube video, so I don't think it is assembled wrong. The manual says 4.84 inches from oil to top of tube. Any Ideas?

How accurate is the device for measuring volume?

Ivw watched the video but don't recall all the details, is the measurement done with the springs inserted, that would raise the level.

Other than that, I don't have a scooby.

Its my understanding the that you dont put in a specific amount of oil, you just have to make certain that its a certain level from the top. i would put more oil in, until its at the desired level from the top.

Looks like the springs should not be in, and the forks should be compressed when you measure the level (VMX12E manual):

1615690745879.png

I agree something seems wrong in your level.

When I rebuilt my forks, I initially used the volume measurement like you did, but I didn't measure the levels. Then I had the (new) seals start leaking. After I fixed the leaks, I used the level measurement to refill them. The amount I added to refill them was not a lot, so I imagine my volume and level were according to the manual.

The fork size increased around 1993. Someone might verify if the later models need more oil than the manual except above. I haven't figured out how the VMX suffixes correspond to the model year. I can see the "N" model manual calls for less fork oil:
1615692690005.png

Last edited:
It took another 50 ml to get the correct oil level. I thought it might take more than that. Finished the job and took it out for a short ride; no problems.

Latest posts

Back