• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1996 California Vmax For Parts or Salvage?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
I am selling my 1st Max for parts, or whatever you want to do with it. After dropping it about 3 years ago, I had aspirations of fixing it up and keeping it. It has been without current Ca registration since April 2011, now to get it current it's gonna cost me over $1000 and I don't have the money to blow fixing it up and paying the reg. Wife says it must go before I can get another bike.

Maybe it can be registered in another state without all the CA hassles?

It has been sitting for a few years and almost certainly needs the tank flushed. I had the carbs cleaned and they've been off the bike ever since (they're loosely mounted just for picture purposes).

It has no turn signals, and no brake/tail light.

Motor was running great, clutch was slipping a bit in 4th under load.

Some items like the handlebars and footpegs are new (due to laying it down).

The back disc is rusty, the shocks are rusty,various small parts are rusty. I have a nice shiny disc for it, as well as take-off shocks (like-new) from my 2002 which can go with the bike if needed. Engine could use some more black.

I live in the Los Angeles area - western 'Valley' area to be specific if that matters.

First dibs go to you, the guys who have helped and inspired me so much. I also have a set of silver wheels off my 2002 I will throw in for site members. Otherwise I will try to sell locally.

I would love to get $1500, but any serious offers will be considered.

I can't transport it, but can assist someone who can.

11sjxj7.jpg

2whebno.jpg

If you don't get any bites we can possibly discuss this a little bit. Hopefully someone local wants it though! In many states you can buy a bike and they are only going to pay taxes from the date it is shown as sold on the title.

So, you could sell it to a friend or family member then sell it back to you.

If you don't get any bites we can possibly discuss this a little bit. Hopefully someone local wants it though! In many states you can buy a bike and they are only going to pay taxes from the date it is shown as sold on the title.

So, you could sell it to a friend or family member then sell it back to you.

That's actually a good idea, unfortunately the guy I bought it from never put it in his name, and I dawdled on putting it in mine. Then when I finally tried, I already had the fees mounting. So the title is in a guy's name that hasn't owned it for probably 7 years or more, which poses more hassle for a local (Cali) buyer.

I'll give it a few days, if no one expresses interest we can talk.

Well I was going to throw my hat into the ring, but I've seen too many TV court episodes where the title was never obtained or the vehicle was sold by someone that did not have clear title.
You really cannot sell it as you don't have a title. You may be the registered owner, but not the title holder. Can you get the title from the prior owner? Is he still around? Could you file for a lost title?
If not, you'll have to part it out, which would be a shame, and then scrap the frame. (or at least the neck with the VIN)

That's actually a good idea, unfortunately the guy I bought it from never put it in his name, and I dawdled on putting it in mine. Then when I finally tried, I already had the fees mounting. So the title is in a guy's name that hasn't owned it for probably 7 years or more, which poses more hassle for a local (Cali) buyer.

I'll give it a few days, if no one expresses interest we can talk.

Latest posts

Back