1996 vmax - no spark after bike is warm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enoggin

Reaction score
I could use some help from the forum on this one... My 96 vmax will run great until the bike is warm and then it dies and won't fire up again until the bike cools off (about 2 hours).

Here's what I've tested:

• Pickup coils resistance is 111 ohms even after bike dies
  • Battery is charged (even after bike dies)
  • charging at 13.5 volts at idle
  • Stator is within normal resistance range
  • I bypassed the kickstand switch and that didn't help
  • Starter will still turnover after bike dies (thoguht it might be a bad kill switch)
Any help would be much appreciated b/c I'm really stumped on this one.

Feel free to call me if it's easier to discuss.

Eric 864-505-8000 - cell

Thanks Garrett, I have hooked up a battery jump box to it when the bike was hot to make sure it wasn't the battery causing the issue. It turns over great but just won't fire.

One of the guys on V Max Chat had a similar issue which turned out to be the ignition control unit.
Sounds like you may have the same problem so perhaps you could borrow one to substitute?

i wonder why it acts up when hot? and furthermore why only once its been turned off for a moment.

I would say the problem is most likely related to the TCI box. It is the transistor controlled ignition box, and it's located under the faux-tank and airbox just above the engine and behind the front coils.
The best way to test for a fault is to swap it for another know to work - a few people here such as Sean Morley may be able to help.

is the ignition control unit the same thing as the ignitor? If not where do I find it on the bike?

Yes, the box buried deep behind the headstock

i wonder why it acts up when hot? and furthermore why only once its been turned off for a moment.

As the power transistor(s) heats up it (they) can stop working.

Back