1998 yamaha vmax Throttle Position Sensor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewcrazzy

Reaction score
I bought my 98 vmax 10 days ago and have put 250 miles on it and she ran good. Today when I took the bike for a ride when I came to an intersection the idle would go up to 3000 rpm's. If I would rev it a couple times it might come down a little. Any ideas what would make it do this. Was wondering if these bikes have a tps.

Thanks

As was stated....no tps. If it happens again....i would look for a possible vacuum leak.

Check all 4 carbs to make sure the choke plungers are all the way in. Something may have loosened on the choke linkage, not allowing the plunger to be pushed all the way to it's stop. Check all carbs to insure the caps are on the sync ports, front left has a hose that may have slit or popped off port. Follow the hose up to the Vboost sensor/timing advance unit, make sure it's not slit open or may have disconnected at that point.

I just remembered this. This was something that happened to me....I would drive down the road...everything was ok, and then I would pull up to a stop sign....and I would be idling about 2000 rpm, and I would reach down, and the choke would be on a bit, I would lift it up and everything would be fine. About 30 mins later....same thing all over again.

I finally figured out what the problem was.....the choke linkage on #4 carb (right front) had come off (lost an E clip)...so, the coke was engaging itself. Hooked the linkage back up....and fixed everything.

Latest posts

Back