1st and clutch or Neutral?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
OK guys,,
After changing out my clutch master cylinder (MC), everything seems to be working great. So I changed out my brake MC also, (wanted it to look and repond as a new unit should). I figured, why take a chance with these items. The Previous Owner (PO), looks like he had a hard on, for the strongest Locktite they make, (I think its called 638).

This numb-nut looked like he dipped the brake lever bolt into this stuff to secure the threads. It supposed to have a retaining nut.
Since I needed the spring and brass bushing, I tried to disassemble it.
1) I stripped out the hex bolt. 2) tried cutting a slot into the head of the bolt. I felt like I was about to break my wrist and busted the screwdriver. 3) Went out to get two Vice Grips to grab the bolt from the bottom and twist - NO Good. 4) Then I brought out the propane torch. Figured I could loosen up any Locktite with heat - NOPE.. Got the thing so hot that the aluminum started to deform a bit. Still did not release. Figured by now that the MC is damaged and not worth keeping as a spare. 5) Had to bring out the Dremel tool and cut the bitch out.. After finally getting the lever release from the MC, found that the PO dipped the entire bolt into the bushing, effectively locking the two permanently together. So I was out of luck with the stock parts. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

20160830_182543small.jpg

Soooo, 6) I had to create a bushing out of aluminum on my lathe, and head to Lowes to get a 6mm x 40 bolt and a few retaining nuts.. Gonna order the correct bushing, since I don't know how long the aluminum will last.

Now I have 2 new MC's and I found a nice set of Chrome levers on EBay for $18.95 :biglaugh::biglaugh:

levers.jpg

Sorry for the rant, but some people just do the stupidest things.

Now, for the "Title of Thread",
What do you guys prefer??
Putting the bike in Neutral and releasing pressure on your clutch pistons or pressing in or leaving it in 1st at a traffic light?

Reason for asking, I'm wondering if its putting undo stress on the plunger piston, and clutch itself?

Internet searches on this topic seems to be divided.

In over 50 years of riding with a bunch of different bikes, I always leave in first and hold in the clutch. Never had a problem with slaves or throwout bearings.

I also leave them in 1st when shut off.

In over 50 years of riding with a bunch of different bikes, I always leave in first and hold in the clutch. Never had a problem with slaves or throwout bearings.

I also leave them in 1st when shut off.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends.
I leave it in gear and hold the clutch most of the time.

If I know I'm gonna be there awhile and there is a line of cars stopped behind me (meaning I feel pretty confident that I won't be rear ended or need to do any evasive maneuvers) I will put it in neutral.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I leave it in first at a traffic light, you never know when you might need to move quickly.

Depends.
I leave it in gear and hold the clutch most of the time.

If I know I'm gonna be there awhile and there is a line of cars stopped behind me (meaning I feel pretty confident that I won't be rear ended or need to do any evasive maneuvers) I will put it in neutral.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+1, I normally have light traffic where I live so it almost always is in gear and one eye on the mirrors.

Back