1st Gen Clutch Upgrades, PCW clutch kit source

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkYoung

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my clutch because it slips quite a bit at 44k miles. But can't find any source of the PCW clutch kit mod I keep reading about. I've contacted the company in the Facebook link below but haven't gotten a response form them yet. If anyone can shoot a link to where I can buy, I'd greatly appreciate it!

PCW Racing, Inc.

Sean Morley may have some of the heavy-duty diaphragm spring and OEM friction discs, with one extra friction disc plate to replace the half-width one that functions as a sort of 'slipper clutch' on the OEM install. [email protected]

Isn't that the DD mod your talking about doing?

If it is, I looked into it but read storied about it breaking shafts and increase the fatigue on your hand during traffic. I'm trying to avoid that mod if possible.

My vmax has the DD mod.
The feel in your right hand.Is same as stock.( hydraulic clutches. Don't get real hard to pull.like a cable clutch would)
Sean any imput?

Isn't that the DD mod your talking about doing?

If it is, I looked into it but read storied about it breaking shafts and increase the fatigue on your hand during traffic. I'm trying to avoid that mod if possible.
No. Double diaphragm (DD) clutch is stacking two OEM diaphragm disc clutch springs together. The PCW is a heavy-duty single diaphragm spring to replace the OEM diaphragm. It's usually done with replacement of the innermost friction disc, which is 1/2 the width of a stock friction disc clutch material, with a standard OEM friction disc; and removal of a thin spring steel band which is eliminated which rides in the area next to the clutch hub.

Last edited:
I installed Sean's recommended kit with the heavy duty spring and "half- disc" replacement. Nice, easy clutch pull. No slippage yet... I don't expect any.

I went with Sean's kit also, not the DD. I believe I also got the his bead blasted plates. Next time I will do the same.

When I need anything for my yammies I ask Sean first, so I'm very comfortable seconding that recommendation to use him. Although I still have my stock clutch at 20k mi, it's nice to know there is an upgrade that wont stiffen lever pull. It's been in my head as I've been casually looking for a supercharger kit for my Gen1.

Relevant note: Stiff lever pull sucks with arthritic hands!

No. Double diaphragm (DD) clutch is stacking two OEM diaphragm disc clutch springs together. The PCW is a heavy-duty single diaphragm spring to replace the OEM diaphragm. It's usually done with replacement of the innermost friction disc, which is 1/2 the width of a stock friction disc clutch material, and a thin spring steel band which rides in the area next to the clutch hub is eliminated.

ALRIGHT! Sign me up! Thank you all for the help!

Perhaps I'm missing something here but if the clutch is slipping wouldn't it be easier to just replace the friction disks?

Putting a stronger diphragm will only mask the issue.

I believe the notion is that one replaces spent friction discs and at the same time the spring is upgraded. The stronger diaphragm helps prevent the issue in the future.

DD cured my clutch slipping with synthetic oil. Rotella T6 5w-40. Plus I like the firmer clutch pull.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but if the clutch is slipping wouldn't it be easier to just replace the friction disks?

Putting a stronger diphragm will only mask the issue.
Yep, 44k miles and slipping. I'd bet the steels are scuffed up bad and the fibers worn below spec. DD I did years ago and never looked back. Though a stock engine probably can't make a H.D. diaphragm spring slip.

I believe the notion is that one replaces spent friction discs and at the same time the spring is upgraded. The stronger diaphragm helps prevent the issue in the future.
I guess that's a personal choice but I wonder how long it would take to rack up another 44K? Methinks either the bike or the rider would have given up by then.

DD cured my clutch slipping with synthetic oil. Rotella T6 5w-40. Plus I like the firmer clutch pull.
Why not use Torco T4 (anything)?
1200 ppm Molydium and all the stuff the 8th Air Corp Chemist tossed in to make it work better... against the Luftwaffe

I guess that's a personal choice but I wonder how long it would take to rack up another 44K? Methinks either the bike or the rider would have given up by then.
👍
44k seems like a proof of good OEM spring.

Last edited:
Back