1st Gen Exhaust Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motor-Officer

Reaction score
I am working on a 1985 that has Super-Trap slip-on mufflers. They easily popped off. I want to re-install the original muffler system. I picked up 4 new exhaust gaskets. They are #43 on the Yamaha exhaust schematic. They are semi-solid and are some type of gray material. It looks like all 4 pipes on the muffler assembly have to slide on the 4 header pipes at the same time (tricky?).
Any help/sage advise would be appreciated.
Thank you.

This is a time when more-hands make the job easier. Get everything on and leave things loose until your connections are all made, then several evolutions of snugging/aligning the pipes and collector/megaphone system, until you have everything where it needs to-be.

One issue with the tube gaskets, is that they need to be well-aligned to slip-on the megaphone ass'y. If the header pipes are cock-eyed and you try to force them into the tube gaskets, it's likely that you will break the gaskets. This is the time that the second pair of hands helps to align things and get them fitted, before tightening.

Last edited:
Put the oem collector on a jack or use ratchet straps to pull up close to the final height so your not trying to lift it and align it.

Loosen the header pipes up near the cylinder so you get some wiggle room.

Another question or two. I have 2 sets of original muffler assemblies. One set has a copper insert gasket in each of the pipes. The end cap is chrome and this is the set I would like to use. The other set has the semi-solid flexible gray gaskets in each pipe. The end cap on this set is black.
Did Yamaha use both types or???
Thank you.

I have done a little more research, and it appears that Yamaha used copper gaskets in the early V-Max's and then switched to the current semi-solid gray gaskets. Does anybody know when they switched materials and why they changed?
Thank you.

Dunno about that, except the '85 had a non-compliant exhaust as-far as DOT, they changed a couple of things for '86, two were the header pipes and the VBoost dia.

The guys mentioned using a tie-down or a ratchet strap to help support the megaphones when trying to align them, which is a good tip. I keep a roll of baling wire and linesman's pliers handy, useful for temporarily securing something, or to stack-up in order of assembly, parts. I use it to suspend parts to be painted. Example (attach.).
HFT jack.05.jpg HFT jack.10.jpg

The copper and stainless layered gaskets were used for all years. I have seen the other ones you're talking about come out of a few bikes but believe they are aftermarket and not stock.

I have done some more research on the gaskets used by Yamaha between the mufflers and the header pipes. After looking at numerous Yamaha parts diagrams, I have come up with the following:
It appears that from 1985 thru 1993, Yamaha used copper "Silencer Gaskets", part number:
36Y-14755-00-00. This part is no longer available and is superseded by the part below.
From 1994 on, Yamaha used the gray semi-flexible material "silencer gaskets", part number:
3XW-14755-00-00.
If anybody has more info about this please let us know.
Thanks for the suggestions about installing my stock mufflers. With the help of a lift, extra body, and
straps, I was able to get them installed and no leaks.

Latest posts

Back