1st gen v 2nd gen

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive done a lot of modifications to my gen one and love every aspect of it over the gen 2 except for the power. I find myself growing bored of the gen one power and really craving what the gen 2 offers powerwise.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I owned Gen 1's all my adult life......and loved every one of them. Right around 2007 though I was really yearning for more power. I was close to pulling the trigger on a PCW motor when the strong rumors of the Gen 2 coming soon start showing up on the web. Shortly after that after Yamaha put up a questionnaire online.....and shortly after that Yamaha contacted me as a respondent, and came to visit me. Naturally I put my Gen 1 plans on hold in anticipation of the new VMax.

Frankly, if I had a Gen 1 that had a big bore motor and all the other upgrades like some guys I know had......I probably would not have ordered a Gen 2. Funny thing is though a bunch of those guys with the balls out Gen 1's got Gen 2's anyway. And the ones I talk to will tell you that you can't build a Gen 1 that will perform like a Gen 2 for what you'd pay for a Gen 2. Not possible. It is so far ahead as far as suspension, braking and HP..... AND it has a 2 year warranty that can be extended 4 more years for a very reasonable price.

So you can't really compare the 2 bikes, they are light years apart.
It doesn't mean that the Gen 2 is for everybody that has/had a Gen 1.....some were hoping for something different.

The things people liked about the Gen 1 though still hold true in the Gen 2. Most important in my mind are 3 things.

1. There is nothing else like it on the road. It's got CHARACTER.
2. You can make it "your own". It seems like everybody has a different idea as to what they want their Max to look like. And some people tour on it, some people commute on it, some people drag race it....and some people do ALL those things on it.
3. You feel like King of the Street (and a Bad Ass) when you go down the road on it.......and it literally can make you smile when you ride it.

To me, it's the best purchase of anything I ever made in my life. I feel lucky to have one.

-Mark-

Just a question... There are reinforcing rails for the frame, and welded up swing arms and fork braces for the Gen1 to get them to handle better. Was that addressed on the Gen2 so you don't need that stuff?

Do you notice the drive by wire, or is it transparent when you start riding?

My only real beef with the gen 2 is price... It feels a little top heavy when you first get on it but by the time your a mile down the road you forget all about it... The biggest problem is unless your a Vmax guy your not going to spend that much when you can buy a ZX14 for cheaper and its faster with more fuel capacity and better mileage and although I've never ridden a new 14 all the reviews say they are damn comfortable... Find a way to get the price down and they will start selling more of them but until that happens the only people buying them will be the people that already have their heart set on them...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

My only real beef with the gen 2 is price... It feels a little top heavy when you first get on it but by the time your a mile down the road you forget all about it... The biggest problem is unless your a Vmax guy your not going to spend that much when you can buy a ZX14 for cheaper and its faster with more fuel capacity and better mileage and although I've never ridden a new 14 all the reviews say they are damn comfortable... Find a way to get the price down and they will start selling more of them but until that happens the only people buying them will be the people that already have their heart set on them...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Well the Gen 2 is no ZX14....of course thats a really GOOD thing in my mind. The Max has got much more personality/character. If the only reason you buy a bike is to have the fastest....then the 14 is your bike....this year. Next year it may be the Beemer, or the Busa. Just be perpared to buy a new one every couple of years to stay the fastest.

I will admit the Gen 2 has gotten pricey...I paid $16,500 for mine brand new, that was a steal. Good deals can be found on really nice used ones, and they don't break so I would buy a used one with no reservations.

I like how the Gen2's scoops actually function, and the instrument panel is pretty sick. Other than that, I personally think the VMax is evolving into more of a sportbike style and less a beastly cruiser. If I had the money for a new VMax, I think I would rather have the Diavel

Just a question... There are reinforcing rails for the frame, and welded up swing arms and fork braces for the Gen1 to get them to handle better. Was that addressed on the Gen2 so you don't need that stuff?

Do you notice the drive by wire, or is it transparent when you start riding?

The frame is all new and is a monocoque style with the engine being a stressed member......so the engine is actually a big part of the frame. It does not flex at all, either do the forks or swingarm for that matter. It's really "overbuilt" in the frame department and really all other areas too. That's why it's on the heavy side.

I don't like the fly by wire feel as much as a cable, but you do get used to it. There are a lot of advantages to that method on fuel injected vehicles though....and eventually everything on the road will have it.

Well the Gen 2 is no ZX14....of course thats a really GOOD thing in my mind. The Max has got much more personality/character. If the only reason you buy a bike is to have the fastest....then the 14 is your bike....this year. Next year it may be the Beemer, or the Busa. Just be perpared to buy a new one every couple of years to stay the fastest.

I will admit the Gen 2 has gotten pricey...I paid $16,500 for mine brand new, that was a steal. Good deals can be found on really nice used ones, and they don't break so I would buy a used one with no reservations.

Please don't mistake me, I'm not dogging the gen 2 because it is an awesome bike but I did list other reasons the 14 outmatched it too that your average rider cares alot about. If it were me I'd have a gen 2 over a 14 any day just because I'm a Vmax guy but what I'm trying to say is to get more people to become Vmax people the price really needs to come down.. I totally agree with you about character because in the end the 14 just looks like any other rocket and the Vmax has a look all it's own (I still prefer the classic lines of the gen 1 more but that's just my opinion) and it sounds like nothing else on 2 wheels but for what your getting it's just too expensive... The big thing a gen 1 has going for it is the price, you can practically steal them right now and if you have any mechanical ability at all they are easy to mod and there is plenty of used/cheap aftermarket parts out there for it. This is the way I went and although I probably have close to $7000 in my bike now it looks different from everything else around here, it sounds awesome and still gets about 40mpg and with a shot of juice I've went 10.50's with me weighing 275lbs in my gear and that's not so shabby.. Still not as fast as a gen 2 with a good rider but I can go longer between fuel stops because I have a bigger tank and get better mileage.. If I happen to come into a windfall of money I might just buy a gen 2 but in the meantime I'm perfectly happy with my gen 1 but they are both awesome bikes and I love them both :clapping:

Please don't mistake me, I'm not dogging the gen 2 because it is an awesome bike but I did list other reasons the 14 outmatched it too that your average rider cares alot about. If it were me I'd have a gen 2 over a 14 any day just because I'm a Vmax guy but what I'm trying to say is to get more people to become Vmax people the price really needs to come down.. I totally agree with you about character because in the end the 14 just looks like any other rocket and the Vmax has a look all it's own (I still prefer the classic lines of the gen 1 more but that's just my opinion) and it sounds like nothing else on 2 wheels but for what your getting it's just too expensive... The big thing a gen 1 has going for it is the price, you can practically steal them right now and if you have any mechanical ability at all they are easy to mod and there is plenty of used/cheap aftermarket parts out there for it. This is the way I went and although I probably have close to $7000 in my bike now it looks different from everything else around here, it sounds awesome and still gets about 40mpg and with a shot of juice I've went 10.50's with me weighing 275lbs in my gear and that's not so shabby.. Still not as fast as a gen 2 with a good rider but I can go longer between fuel stops because I have a bigger tank and get better mileage.. If I happen to come into a windfall of money I might just buy a gen 2 but in the meantime I'm perfectly happy with my gen 1 but they are both awesome bikes and I love them both :clapping:

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.......I was disapointed that Yamaha priced out a lot of the Gen 1 owners. I really couldn't afford the bike myself....even at $16,500... but bought it anyway - and have 0 regrets. So it was expensive but I think it was worth every penny, it's that well built and that special IMO. I'll never sell it, so if I amortize it over my lifetime....it was cheap! :biglaugh:

wow.... pleasantly suprised this has not turned into ANOTHER bashing thread...
I two have had several Gen I's and loved them all.
But for me the GenII has way more bad attitude than the Gen I, modded though...
Motorcycles for me are al about performance, and for a portly miss the Gen II whoops ass on the street 99% of the time... The ONLY time I have been beating on the street was by a 1099 Pinagale after 140 mph and only a couple bike lengths past 155.. Busa's, R1's (which I love as well) GSXR's, Rocket III's, GT 500 Mustang, Roush Mustang, LFA, R8 Audi, Viper.. the list goes on.

Gen I's are more "raw" for sure, and I mean that in a good way. I feels very nasty and unrefined (again in a good way) More drama.

After riding both for many many miles, the Gen I actually feels very small to me and narrow. I have very much so gotten accustomed to the bulk of the Gen II.

With all that said though, either bikes are truly legendary no matter who you talk with or who you pull up next to. There always is respect....

Mark / Brett .... excellent & very true comparison between the two VMax styles. :clapping:
Owned a 06 Gen 1 for 5 yrs , and this has been my first riding season with my 2010 Gen2 .... but getting use to it and loving it very much !!! :biglaugh:

+1 to what you both have written. :worthy:

So we agree - - - put at least one of each generation in your garage and switch up on which one you are riding every couple days or a week? Works for me!

I am afraid to mention anything for fear of getting banned!

I am afraid to mention anything for fear of getting banned!

Ha ha.....you've got your forums mixed up!

Sean I know you are not a big Gen 2 fan. I often feel badly you didn't embrace the new bike, you missed out on a lot of opportunity early on and Gen 2 owners missed out on the possibility of doing business with a stand-up vendor.

Instead the company with the initials that I think stand for Unbelievably F'd Over had his way with unsuspecting new Gen 2 owners....... and made tens of thousands of dollars doing it.

IMHO

I owned my '98 gen1 for almost 11 years and loved it, but I was ready for something new and different last summer... just couldn't decide what that would be. I was seriously considering the FJR1300, a very good looking all-around nice bike... but it had no "cool factor" to it whatsoever. I wasn't even sure I liked the gen2 from the pictures that I had seen (and I REALLY didn't like the price - I'm a bit on the frugal side) until I saw a few in person at last years VMOA ride. THEN I knew what I wanted and started the hunt for a "reasonably" priced low mileage stock '09.

The first thing you notice about the gen2 after being used to the gen1 is how big and bulky it feels just sitting on it (kind of like straddling a bull)... very different, but not in a bad way. Once you get moving though the power and handling are amazing. The throttle-by-wire is VERY touchy at certain rpm's in the lower gears, but you do learn your way around it. The short fuel range isn't that big of a deal and does improve slightly once you get some miles on it (as long as you stay out of the throttle... but that's part of the fun of a gen2 anyway). The gen1 isn't exactly a long range bike either.

I debated keeping the gen1 even though I didn't have enough garage space for both... until I rode it after spending a few months this summer getting used to the gen2. It just felt tiny and very outdated in the ride and handling department - not to mention the weird feeling that the front tire was flat (it wasn't, but it sure felt like it). So, she had to go and I sold it for a more than reasonable price last June. It was sad to see someone else riding away on it after 11 years, but it just couldn't measure up to the gen2 IMO. I still love the gen1's and think it's a cool bike, but it just wasn't for me any longer.

The price of the gen2 is a major sticking point for a lot of people, but even for someone as frugal (cheap) as I am I don't regret a single dollar I've spent on it. It really is THAT much fun to ride and it blows the top off the "cool factor" scale. I am much happier with the gen2 than I would have been on the FJR. Good deals are out there this time of year on used gen2's and I think it's worth the expense (I bought my '98 used because I didn't like the price of a new one either).

If you already KNOW you want a gen2 then you won't be disappointed. It doesn't suit everyone and looks are completely subjective (i.e. - I can't stand the looks of the Diavel, but a lot of other people love it) and if it's not for you then you probably will find plenty of reasons not to like it and won't buy one. If price is the only factor then just wait until they've been around long enough for a nice used one to fit into your comfort zone. I seriously doubt you will regret your purchase once you do.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

It took me 15 years of lusting after the Gen 1 , to finally get to own one.
So, while I don't mind the gen 2, im gonna hang on to the gen 1 for a while yet.
I will say that I haven't heard a Gen 2 that sounds as badass and gives me the goosebumps like a Gen 1 with a kerker pipe.

IMO, the gen 2 looks..pretty good, kinda in a BATcycle kinda way.
The gen 1 really does look, and sound badass... and the poor(er) handling, well that just fits the ole hotrod kind of appeal.. like it was designed to mimick.

If anyones handing out free gen 2s, we'll ill gladly take one, (but I'm still keepin the G1..if I don't roll it off a cliff 1st)

I've owned a 2 Gen1s over the last 10 years and to this day, I love this bike for alot of reasons. To me, the Gen one, especially in stock form, is a blank slate to be upgraded the way you want it to look, handle, perform, etc... and can be done at a reasonable cost. The Gen1 can be a hotrod, tourer, drag bike, etc... the possibilities of customization are endless.

I have never owned a Gen2, but had rode a friends a couple of times and had a demo for a weekend from dealer. They are a great bike and in every way a better machine than the Gen1. My main issue with the Gen2 is the they are not as "customizable" as the Gen1, unless you have very deep pockets. My other main issue is that they are not as back yard mechanic friendly as the Gen1 is.

Both great bikes for very different reasons.

Mike

I'd like to add that I can get to work faster on my Gen 1 than on the Gen II. Those that know me, know I'm a big guy. When I roll the throttle open on my 85, it sh!ts and gits, and I arrive at work in no time. However, when I attempt this on my 09, all I get done is tire spin - even at my weight.

That extra HP causes excess tire wear, I tell you, and I only average 2k miles per back tire on the Gen 1 - can't wait to see how long a back tire lasts me on this 09. With the ever-increasing cost of tires, I may not be able to afford to keep this 09.

Factory traction control woulda been nice.

Back