2 up(as in passenger)suitability

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan1

Reaction score
Hi,first post,so be kind.Would a V-Max,last of the Ist Gen,make a decent bike for 2 up riding (nearly all the time),average 250miles a day.
Morgan.

As a touring bike? It wouldn't be my first choice. I would suggest either a straight up cruiser with bags and a wind shield or maybe a Connie or FJR.

Setup with the right seat and suspension the Vmax is capable of it. It's just not my first choice.

Chris

I think another consideration would be the fuel tank capacity. It really limits to around 100 - 130 miles between gas stops in stock form. As the others have mentioned, comfort upgrades can make the vmax a viable LD runner.

I ride all the time with my wife, and have no problems. Its not exactly a touring bike due to the small fuel tank, but we like to get off and stretch our legs every hour anyway while riding. It also depends on you and your passenger's size....I am 165lbs and the wife is 120lbs, and our last bike was a crotch rocket (not comfy after only 20 min.). The only mod I would recommend is a back rest for the passenger.....to each his own I guess!!

Not sure the Vmax would be my choice for 250 miles a day.
An older Venture or Voyager would be a much more comfortable
touring type bike. Get the Max to cruise town and buy one of the
others to hit the highway. :punk:
Chris

our reworked seats and a Yamaha backrest and it makes all the difference.

Sean

Hi,first post,so be kind.Would a V-Max,last of the Ist Gen,make a decent bike for 2 up riding (nearly all the time),average 250miles a day.
Morgan.

I would say no based on the fact you would have to fill up 2.5 times a day just to make your destination.

Are you the Morgan of Morgan Carb Tune from Belfast, UK?

I have to agree that the max would not be my choice for what your looking for, unless the bike is setup for it, Morley seat, 20.5l gas tank, windshield, saddlebags, etc... But I'll tell ya, there wouldn't be another bike that would give you the grin factor everyday on your commutes like the max IMO.

Mike

Properly setup there is no reason the Vmax can't be good for 2. Stopping every 120-140 miles for fuel and a quick drink/pit stop is not all that bad either.

A better bike of course would be something like a gold wing or even an FJR1300 but then that kind of takes away from the fun when you aren't traveling.

Sean

You can tour on anything if you want to. I recently did 3,000k's 2 up with camping gear on a Kawasaki KLE 400 (Jap model is 400 others are 500) on a 3 night trip.
The Vmax with the Givi box will be luxurious in comparison. I rode an FJR for a while but the lack of character and low screen is annoying.

Guys,really appreciate all the replies.The 250 miles a day is not touring,just daily rides from & back to base with no other purpose than the ride,so stopping every 120miles or so for fuel is no big deal & it gives the old bones a rest.Maybe I should explain how I come to be looking at a V-Max(I agree it dosen't seem like the ideal choice).I like the standard riding position of the V-Max,i don't feel right on Sport bikes or Cruisers with forward controls,plus the passenger riding position(footrests to seat angles)looks right,i've had 2 tourers in recent years an 84'Venture & a 99'Electraglide,but they're too big & heavy,i'm getting old.At present we've got an FXD Superglide(with mid controls),which i'm selling,giving up with Harleys.I've been doing a lot of reading up & it seems like with a few upgrades(what bike dosen't need them?) a V-Max might really suit us.Plus I have always loved the looks of the Max,which always helps.
Vmaxin,i'm not the Morgan from Belfast,Morgan1 is just my stage name.:biglaugh:

Hey Morgan, Remember to buy the newest version of Vmax you can afford. 2003 and up have the latest and greatest of everything.

You'll enjoy it.

Exactrep which is in your neighborhood is a great vmax bling outlet.

Stock seats SUCK so a Corbin or a Morley seat is highly sought after for longer trips or just for added comfort on the short ones.

Good luck and welcome to the FOLD!

Cheers,
Chris

I recently rode 1100 miles in 3 days (solo) but not really set up for long distance touring. I don't think I'd want to do that on a regular basis but if I were to do it more than 5 times a year I would definatly have a larger easily removeable windshield, softer grips, highway pegs, tour tank and a better luggage setup. Maybe even a corbin remade by Sean to add some style to it.
I recently rode a FJR and didn't think it had much personality but I only rode it for a short demo ride. It was comfortable and it needed a taller windshield for full protection.

When touring (like the FJR is setup for) the last thing most want is "personality". Personality usually doesn't work well with long times in the saddle. JMO of course.

Chris

Yeah, I guess I didn't think of it that way. Maybe the FJR would a good match with a Vmax; Nice long tourer and a hot rod for kicks locally!:punk:

Or buy my 2005 which already has the overdrive 5th gear installed!

Sean

Back