200 rear tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxinID

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Ok, in your opinions,

what is the best "bang for the buck"?

I am shopping for a 18" rear wheel that can accept a 200 series tire.
I haven't decided on a 50 or 55 series yet.

bring it on :banana:

The only thing I have to offer you assuming it will fit your swingarm is;

The tallest one you can find.

Putting a shorter tire on the Vmax is not a happy making experience....the RPM's will go up enough to make the bike seem downright nervous and drive you crazy,,,

Just my two cents tho'.

Last edited:
Wfcall brings up a good point, I don't know if a 200 series tire can fit on a stock swingarm, no matter what rim it is. BTW I think you need at least a 6 inch rim.
I know Rocky Mountain Sportmax sells 18 inch rims.

Have you ever considered how much offset the rear wheel will have in relation to the front? it will cause severe misalignment, will the bike be just for show or are you really going to ride it?
If you are planing on chain drive conversion that is a different story but with max shaft drive no way rear and front wheels will be aligned.
and then you will have to deal with RPM increasing.
with much less air cushion your back will take a good beating no matter how good your after market shocks are ( if you have after market shocks)
My 2 cents.
________
ultimate fighters

Last edited:
Buster: I will not be using a stock swing arm,
so you think 6" is gonna be the minimum width needed?
Anybody run a 200/18 on a 5.5?

Firefly: Yes I have, that's why I wanna find out from everybody that reads this forum,
maybe someone here knows about a specific wheel that has the proper offset to keep the bike aligned.
It's worth a try.

thanks for the feedback.

I did run a 180 on the stock rim for a while but the narrow rim pulled the sidewalls in so much that it was not any wider than the 170 I'm running now......

I believe??? a 200 would fit fine on a well notched swingarm...my 170 leaves about .25" gap on the driveshaft side right now...

Assuming the wheel used did not have any offset built into it the centerline of the tire is going to be the same so misalignment between front and rear would be the same as stock regardless of wheel width....

You'd have to ask whoeve is making the wheel if the beads are "on center" with the hub or not....

200 gee thats pretty fat....You guys need to check out this....

http://pic6.piczo.com/phaat/?g=13961155

This is called project phaat. It was done by a guy in my neck of the woods. He does very good custom work. He has done his Max with a huge rear tire. I'v emailed him and told him I'd like to come up to see it. He is a great guy, he welcomes all Max riders to stop in anytime. This is one phaat bitch tire. (250) He has also done a V-star with a 300. It's worth the look. But don't click on the banners....it's B.S. advertizing.:new_ani:

Has nobody checked this out yet ?

Last edited:
thats a bad@ass Vmax he built.. i wrote him with a few questions on my build. see if he writes back im not going 250 on the rear i know that. i like to ride and that big of tire isnt for me

I just got off the phone with Jon Cornel from U.F.O. I had sent my brand new 17" wheel back to him because it was 100 thou out of tru and he just told me they do not carry the 17x5.5 anymore and I am now going to be running a 6.25" rim...:surprise:

He says it will fit with a 180 mounted to it but you can just fit a playing card in between the arm and the tire...:surprise: :ummm: . Not sure I am happy about this, but it does make me have to buy a braced and widened swingarm for it though...:whistlin:

I have to remove the final drive and slip it and the wheel in together and then bolt the drive up... I am going to be using a lot of 3M blue masking tape on the wheel and swingarm to keep it from getting scratched it looks like...:bang head:

Will let you know how it all goes... Unless I kill myself doing it...:whistlin:

I just got off the phone with Jon Cornel from U.F.O. I had sent my brand new 17" wheel back to him because it was 100 thou out of tru and he just told me they do not carry the 17x5.5 anymore and I am now going to be running a 6.25" rim...:surprise:

He says it will fit with a 180 mounted to it but you can just fit a playing card in between the arm and the tire...:surprise: :ummm: . Not sure I am happy about this, but it does make me have to buy a braced and widened swingarm for it though...:whistlin:

I have to remove the final drive and slip it and the wheel in together and then bolt the drive up... I am going to be using a lot of 3M blue masking tape on the wheel and swingarm to keep it from getting scratched it looks like...:bang head:

Will let you know how it all goes... Unless I kill myself doing it...:whistlin:

Take lots of pics

Chris,Glad to hear you are geting your wheel back.My 180/55/17 is hard enough to get in that I am going to buy a 170/60/17 next time.I tried the removing the pumpkin last time but could not get the shaft to go in to the ujoint.Finally I had to remove all the air and force it through with some grease on it.Very tight.

Chris,Glad to hear you are geting your wheel back.My 180/55/17 is hard enough to get in that I am going to buy a 170/60/17 next time.I tried the removing the pumpkin last time but could not get the shaft to go in to the ujoint.Finally I had to remove all the air and force it through with some grease on it.Very tight.

This is what I'm worried about...

See shawn why doing the carbs is out for me... Way to much B.S.:bang head: He actually said not to take the pumpkin all the way off but to pull it out a way's and then slip the wheel in there... I think it's more like CRAM!

I was considering too with mine,unbolting the center fom my wheel since it is a two piece Kosman and trying to wiggle it out ???

Wow, you guys got me really worried now. I've got a 18 X 5.5 rim which I'm going to mount a 180 on.

Though this was going to be a pretty straight forward job, a little elbow grease and sweat but doable.

Should I be going with a 170?

A 180/55/17 will go in but it is very tight.Like I said I am going to try a 170/60/17 next time.

Wow, you guys got me really worried now. I've got a 18 X 5.5 rim which I'm going to mount a 180 on.

Though this was going to be a pretty straight forward job, a little elbow grease and sweat but doable.

Should I be going with a 170?

A 180/55/17 will go in but it is very tight.Like I said I am going to try a 170/60/17 next time.

I had a 180/55/17 and it was tight. Don't set the bead until you have it mounted on the bike. That's what I am going to do here but I am thinking that this is going to be VERY tight without the tire let alone with it...:bang head:

Notching the swingarm doesn't make getting the wheel in any easier... It just makes more room for the edge when mounted... :confused2:

I want a 200 or at least a 190 but man... 500 bucks for a swingarm?:surprise:

Last edited:
Back