2000 Vmax- Kerker exhaust, k & n filter, stage 1 dj jet kit.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJDrPhil

Reaction score
My bike has the kerker exhaust with the 1 3/4" baffle. I love the sound but was thinking of going with the 2" or the 2 1/2". I usually run with the baffle out and just the end cap with the 1 3/4" opening. With the baffle in my bike bogs down, it feels like to much restriction and loads it up. Has anyone tested the difference on there bike in between the baffles, or know of another muffler to run on this exhaust? I have a k & N filter, with air box lid match ported to it, and I have a dj stage one jet kit on the bike. I know my mechanic put the clip on the 4th notch and he put in dj190s (yes they do seem large). I was getting a large bog, on they kept stepping the jetting up until it went away. On the dyno it put out 116.6 hp @ 8318rpms, and 75.58ft*lb @ 7301rpms. Horsepower at the motor was 141hp, and 89.31ft*lb. This was on a sportdyno v3.2 and this had the correction factor. We had ran the bike months before on 20 degree warmer day and it posted 125hp and 79ft*lbs on that day. Thank for reading:eusa_dance:

My bike has the kerker exhaust with the 1 3/4" baffle. I love the sound but was thinking of going with the 2" or the 2 1/2". I usually run with the baffle out and just the end cap with the 1 3/4" opening. With the baffle in my bike bogs down, it feels like to much restriction and loads it up. Has anyone tested the difference on there bike in between the baffles, or know of another muffler to run on this exhaust? I have a k & N filter, with air box lid match ported to it, and I have a dj stage one jet kit on the bike. I know my mechanic put the clip on the 4th notch and he put in dj190s (yes they do seem large). I was getting a large bog, on they kept stepping the jetting up until it went away. On the dyno it put out 116.6 hp @ 8318rpms, and 75.58ft*lb @ 7301rpms. Horsepower at the motor was 141hp, and 89.31ft*lb. This was on a sportdyno v3.2 and this had the correction factor. We had ran the bike months before on 20 degree warmer day and it posted 125hp and 79ft*lbs on that day. Thank for reading:eusa_dance:

190 is freaky huge. I was thinking 155 was closer to what you'd want... Hmm...:hmmm:

I have that same setup and and tried all three jets in the dynojet stage 1 kit and ended up with the 165's . What was your a/f ratio? because mine ran way rich with just the 170's

I have that same setup and and tried all three jets in the dynojet stage 1 kit and ended up with the 165's . What was your a/f ratio? because mine ran way rich with just the 170's
When I opened up the air box I couldn't get the bike to rev past 6000rps. When I took it in to get it jetted, they kept stepping the jets up in stages to see how it would react. The dj 150s raised the limit to around 6500rps. He tried 165s, 170, 180s and finally the 190's. And it was ran on the dyno after every run. I had taken the t-bar or y-bar off, whatever you want to call it, and opened up the top lid to the inside of the k and n filter. Like port matching heads to exhaust gaskets or a intake to carb. Once we got done I still had a slight stumble around 8000 to 8500. I made a plate to cover up the front part of where I cut out and with those two things the bog went away.

Attachments

• 02250823171.JPG
    02250823171.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 76
Once you mod the air box you need the air correctors for the main air jet on top. Otherwise, it'll never run quite right.

Mark

Yeah I have a basic stage 1 kit more like a stage .8 and removed the Y and have NO issues.:thumbs up:

190's are freaky huge. You need to find a tuner that knows Vmax's or listen to the guys on here that have done it a million times. The Max is an odd duck...:whistlin:

Yeah I have a basic stage 1 kit more like a stage .8 and removed the Y and have NO issues.:thumbs up:

190's are freaky huge. You need to find a tuner that knows Vmax's or listen to the guys on here that have done it a million times. The Max is an odd duck...:whistlin:
I agree with you 100%, everything acts differently, and different motors and brands react to changes in a different way. My bike has handled the jets fine, I went on a 1200 mile round trip to myrtle beach and had no issue. The dyno numbers are not to bad, I need to scan the sheet I have and post it and see if anyone can come up with anything. I don't know what the air/fuel mixture was, I know the mechanic was happy with it. I am more familiar with e.g.t's and temp guns, can you mount a air/fuel mixture gauge on the bike? Thank you all for your thoughts and help once again.:banana:

DJDrPhil~
Something doesn't seem right with your combination, nor is it making the power it should... What is the altitude where the dyno is located?

Here is a copy of my bike's dyno report for a comparison and we are at 790 ft. altitude here.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1874

BTW to others~
Someone mentioned something about "air correctors" that are inside the air box. What is that??? Are actually referring to the velocity stacks that are mounted to the carb's airhorn?? Just curious.

Thanks!

Backfire, the air correctors are a Dynojet stage 7 part that are press fitted into the main air jets. They are the big jets at the top of each carb and feed air for mixture with the main jet.

Mark

Back