2001 vmax new throttle cables too big for holder connector?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenfieldMad

Reaction score
Hey guys i am at the point in the rebuild where i have got the carb stack and airbox back together . And im redy to hook up the throttle cables . But .

It appears that the new after market cable ends that came with the bike must have been larger then stock as the end of the cables dont seem to totally fit into the little black rectangular cable holder that join the 4 cables together (via the little whit slides inside) . Im sort of unsure what to do with it do i get a new holder to accommodate it or can i just use it anyway ?

And . On another note i am also wondering about the loctaion and route tht the double throttle cables run from bars to carbs . Is it behind the little panel for the vboost switch/ relays , or over the top once its installed . Any help would be great can send more pics if needed.

Thanks all

GREENFIELD MAD 20221104_153926.jpg

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
See 8-25 (page 395 of 405pp in the .pdf) #7 is the throttle joint box. Outside of the plastic electrical mounting cover.

I've never encountered too-large throttle cable ends in the throttle junction box, but a sensible thing to do would be to use some sandpaper to lightly dress them until you have sufficient clearance on the lead ends to fit easily into the white plastic slider connectors. Also, be sure that you have sufficient freeplay for the throttle to operate. Too-tight, and your throttle will hang-up, a dangerous thing in a 110 RWHP machine!

Last edited:
Hey firemedic * its not the little cable end tht is too big it is the new throttle cable caseing that snugs down in the allwed slits at the end before the clear plastic cover piece goes on top.20221104_153926.jpg

Oh boy, that could be a tough one, you might be better off asking Sean Morley, Captain Kyle or another member for an OEM set of cables, they probably have 'em used. What's the matter w/yours?

I wouldn't mess with either the plastic junction box or the cable sheathing and ferrule end, to try and make it work. For the information of the members, what was the brand/supplier of what you bought?

Not sure what brand those are? I sell the motion pro stuff which fits without issue. That set looks a bit fat though.

Yes it is slightly bigger then the factory one .
Is there a possible that the connector piece that links the cables is backwards . Does anyone know for sure which way that thing goes? . And also if there is anything that could be able to adapt to that fatter cable ?
Or any information as to what i might be able to try .

No, just buy the proper hardware. You're dealing with a V-frickin'-VMax fer chrissakes! Having your throttle stuck wide-open 🤕 is NOT something you want to ever deal with. A used one which still works is better than one which doesn't fit. Safer too. 🤔 Consider the cost of hospital bills, lost wages, and possible terrible permanent damage to you if that 'doesn't fit' set of aftermarket cables doesn't return properly, and your throttle sticks wide-open trying to turn left at a six-lane intersection! You'd be better off pulling in the clutch and letting the engine rev until it blows-up, but who's going to have the presence of mind to do that as you deal with the realization that the bike just sustained a mechanical failure like that, and here come the texting SUV drivers, the filet-o'-fish eaters, the distracted soccer moms with a load of screaming 9 year-olds, while you're dealing with potential end-of-life issues?

Buy the right thing. Remember the Nike motto.

Last edited:
No, j Having your throttle stuck wide-open is NOT something you want to ever deal with.
Agreed. Had that happen in my first car a white Ford ****I. Was coming to a T junction , took foot off the gas pedal but it made no difference.... and there was a solid brick wall ahe. Luckily I managed to reach down and pull up the pedal by hand.

Needless to say I fixed the problem so it wouldn't reoccur.

I wonder how many bike still have their cable in the ex-factory position?

The Service Manual doesn't specify how the throttle cables should run other than indicate the position of their guide (#19 on p.8-25). It does say that the clutch hose should pass outside the throttle cable and should pass under the throttle cable guide.

Other than that I guess it up to the individual to route them so they avoid sharp bends and do not pull when the bars are at full lock.

Yes it is slightly bigger then the factory one .
Is there a possible that the connector piece that links the cables is backwards . Does anyone know for sure which way that thing goes? . And also if there is anything that could be able to adapt to that fatter cable ?
Or any information as to what i might be able to try .
I must have taken mine apart a dozen times before I realized there are actual arrows on the connector box that show the direction and cable orientation on the top clear lid part of the cable connector box...maybe this will help...

Update... hey guys it was due to the run of the cables up by the bars . They had made a wrong bend around the triple tree. Got it sorted out and works fine now . Thanks

Latest posts

Back