2004 out of storage fuel issue..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corrugated

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just took my 2004 out of storage and out on the road the other day. I noticed some fuel that had leaked from somewhere around one of the carbs and down between the engine block V. Bike started OK, but has a slight pop out of the RH (?) exhaust at idle. Throttle response is lagging from 1000-2000 rpm, then pulls hard and normal throughout the rev range (V-Boost is boosting as normal). Idle wants to go a bit low (synch is fine, was done last year), had to bump it up a little to stay around 1000 rpm at idle. I'm assuming I have a float that is stuck.. How and what can I do to check and confirm this..? Fuel filter was changed out last year as well..

Thanks!

20230524_105955.jpg

It's needing a carb rack removal to pull the float bowls & see what's what. Maybe some grunge on the float needle seat? Replacement is usually not needed for the float needle seat.

Spritz water on the #3 (Rt rear) & #4 (Rt. front) exhausts by the cyl head & see how quickly the water evaporates. Or if you have an IR thermal gun, read the temps. I'd say exhaust 'popping' at idle is a sign of a lean mix.

You may find the pilot jet is obstructed on either of the right cyl's. Checking them requires removal of the jet blocks. You'll probably have the jet block gasket rip when you try to remove the jet block. It's a good idea to have them on-hand before you disassemble things. The K&L O-ring /gasket sets are a good value. You should check the float lever while you're in there.

VMax carb float area.pngVMax carb floatlevel bowl off.jpgVMax carb kit K-L labelled.pngVMax carb kit.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Fire-medic, thats just what I'm looking for and what I suspected I'll have to correct. Gathering further disassembly instructions now. Will get ahold of some parts next..

Where is the K&L kit available from?

I cleaned the carb. air intakes, air filter base and outer carb bodies, tightened the carb hose clamps, then sprayed Seafoam into each carb and applied Seafoam to a full tank of fuel and all seems correct once again. I'll confirm in the next day or so after a longer ride, but I think I'm good to go now. Will go further into the carb. next if needed, but as of now the bike is running normal again.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back