2005 jetting help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXKID2022

Reaction score
My name is Eric, I recently acquired my father's bike for the season. It's a 2005 Yamaha Vmax 20th anniversary edition 0666/2000. Pretty cool if you ask me.
He purchased the a few years ago from someone on Facebook marketplace. From what we can remember from the listing is that it has a UFO 4-2 exhaust and a stage one jet kit from dynojet that the guy supposedly installed himself. From what I have been reading on the forums is that the stage one is not correct for this bike, I'm finding that every year I'm doing plugs because they are fouling. And I definitely notice some performance issues, stuttering on the low end and kind of bucking. We are not experts when it comes to carbs but we can mess around and make things run occasionally. I've noticed that my carbs are out of sync again.(just synced last year) I notice it in the exhaust sounds and can see it on the vacuum gauge. My main question is where im from i sit about ~500 ASL, and have seen other forums that guys are running 147.5 main mikuni jets and going from there. Does anyone know of a kit or is sean morley still active that i could purchase the morley kit from him. I'm also unsure of what was left in stock from the previous owner so I would like to start fresh with unmolested parts so i know what im working with. I'll try to post some photos and videos of the bike tomorrow.

I'm still here. Stage 1 is junk. You can start off with smaller mains and stock needles if he still has them.

When I got my Vmax it was stock other than a Kerker 4-2-1, drop-in K&N air filter and a DJ stage 1 jet kit installed according to the inlay included in the kit. Luckily the bike came with the rest of the kit and stock parts that came off. I live at 4000'. It was so rich it burned my eyes and stunk like raw fuel, even when parked. Needless to say performance and MPG were lackluster, there quite a 3500-4k rpm flat spot to boot.

After gradually leaning things out by replacing Stage 1 crap with stock, it was getting better. I finally ponied up for a Morley filter lid and jetting kit. It was quick to find out that the Stage 7 needles and 145 main jets made me have to hold on and hope that my full face lid was masking my squeals of delight while finally being wholly impressed with this bike.

The Gen1 Vmax has no rev limiter. I now have to be careful not to over-rev, it really wants to. I'm going to install a TCI with a rev limiter so I can put the white gloves away.

Back