1st Gen V-Max 2005 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarchin

Reaction score
VMax Year
I was at lunch the other day and was just surfing the web and figured I'd check this online auction that I get emails for. I notice a motorcycle auction, so I had to check it out. Scrolling through the listings and there was this 2005 Vmax!, almost went right past it. Looked at the time left and was just 2 hours to go and the bid was at $925. I left work early and zipped on home, getting there with 20 minutes left to go. I started bidding at $1,200 and got the bike for $1,840 ($240 internet bid fee). I was so pumped up! been kinda wanting an 05 forever and this thing just dropped into my lap.

Some details:
Original owner bought it in April 2005, still had the original title...
51,xxx miles but I don't really mind that...
Battery was completely dead but no worries because I took a good battery with me...
Took hitting the starter button three times then it fired right up...
looked dirty in the pictures but this bike is actually pretty clean, don't really see any rust, the chrome all looks good, tires are good...
Seems a tiny bit sluggish and idle was so low it was wanting to stall...
Rode it to the gas station, filled it up and rode it about 10 miles today (I'm in Michigan and it was chilly this morning) and got on it pretty good a few times with no second gear problems. Seems to be running and idling a little better afterwards...

I'll play around with it this weekend for sure...and super happy with it!

Attachments

• 2005VmaxBadge.jpeg
    2005VmaxBadge.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 2005VmaxRight.jpeg
    2005VmaxRight.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Congratulations, a good deal. Try some S100 cleaner on it, you will be happy with how it spiffs-up the bike's appearance. What's the badge #? A bit hard to read. 1738 I think.

Not having a knackered 2nd gear is a big deal, especially given the mileage.

Another one of the 2005's:

VMax tank badge numberplate.jpg

I bet it's been sitting awhile. Suggestions:

Change the brake fluid in F & R brakes and the clutch. I suggest a reverse-bleed. How-to, and making an inexpensive tool for it:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/clutch-slave-cylinder-replacement.45011/
Take a pic of the gas filter, measure it, and go to your local auto parts store for an inexpensive replacement. It should be < 1/2 the price of the Yamaha filter.

Oil change, & filter.

Take a look at the air filter, see if blowing it out with compressed air (from the inside-out please) removes any debris, if it does, consider a replacement.

Drain each float bowl into a clear container to see what's in the float bowls. This may clue you into whether or not you need to remove and disassemble the carbs. The pilot jets are notorious for becoming plugged, especially if the bike sits for months with ethanol gasoline.

VMax carbs disassembled diaphragm side.jpg
VMax carb float area.pngVMax carb kit.jpgVMax carb kit K-L labelled.png

I'd check the brake pads too. They probably have the type of pad compound inked on the pad back. The HH pads are good.

Consider a coolant change too. The rear end oil should be checked/replaced, likely original to the bike.

You need this saved on your computer, and print-out a copy for the shop: http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
yes Fire-Medic the badge number is 1738, and thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

This bike is in great condition and had been well cared for. As far as I can tell it's all stock except for the rear shocks and rear turn signals he had on there for the saddlebags. I'm thinking I'm going to keep it stock as well. I haven't been able to ride a bike for a few years and I have forgotten how much fun a Vmax is to ride.
Peace

Put some seafoam in the fuel. Check air filter and maybe new plugs. Sounds like a great deal. You may get by with doing the pea shooter carb clean.

Latest posts

Back