2006 rectifier into a 1987?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liptoss

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has bolted a newer rectifier into an older model Vmax?
I'm looking to install a 2006 into an 1987. It should work right?
If not, what solutions have anyone else come up with?
The 1987 OEM is burning up, but still working, but for how long right?

That's what I thought, a rectifier is a rectifier is a rectifier

Not unless you're comparing the different technologies used in these devices. Shunt type works, but generates heat, and shunts excess current to ground.. Mosfet switches the current more efficently, and stays cooler. However it still shunts to ground. This makes stator run hotter.. Could shorten its life. Series regulators actually switch off the stator, keeping it cooler.

I knew there was more to this... which VBoost edition has the article on the rectifier stator?

I sell the newer versions for $75 including the longer bolts and the correct terminal connector to run the dedicated ground with the ground wire that comes on the regulator. $7 postage.

So the newer OEM rectifier that has the additional black runs to ground under the seat?

Yes, and run the red wire to the positive terminal. Put a 30A fuse inline if you run positive to battery directly.

Bill, was your stator due to poop cause of the age or cause of the rr ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was pretty burned on some coils. There were spots where the insulating varnish on the coil wires was gone. I think it just got too hot too often. Hopefully the Series type regulator installed now will help. If the original one went 60,000 miles, and the replacement went 70,000 more, maybe this one was will get 80,000! That would get me to 210,000.. Ya never know.

Age, I think. 27 years of use, and 70,000 miles finally did it in. The original lasted 4 years and 60,000 miles. I have a Series type regulator installed, we'll see how this one lasts..

Age, I think. 27 years of use, and 70,000 miles finally did it in. The original lasted 4 years and 60,000 miles. I have a Series type regulator installed, we'll see how this one lasts..
Hows the other rectifier on the other bike holding up?

So far so good. The Roadie toasted a stator at 50,000. 71 on it now, and works fine.

Back