2006 Vmax with little issues and looking for and suggestions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpick77

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since I have posted. To busy and trying to ride when I can. I have 2006 with roughly 4200 miles on it. I modified the stock exhaust and I really liked the sound. Bike has always run pretty good. Modifications so far are just the modified stock exhaust and a K&N Filter. Over the summer I also added a new set of Metzeller Rubber (Love them!) Loving the sound of the Vmax :eusa_dance:I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a set of Delkevic slip-ons. I purchased the carbon Fiber cans with the 200mm openings (short ones). At first I liked the sound at idle and the look. After riding it a bit I wasn’t really thrilled with the resonance they created. After a little more riding, I noticed that the Right rear exhaust sounded louder than the left. After giving the exhaust a look-over I noticed I could stick my finger in the exhaust (after it was cooled down of course) and wiggle the baffle. I figured the baffle had worked loose. I checked the bolt for the baffle and it was tight. So in true fashion I just removed the baffles. :punk: I really liked the sound at idle, but after a ride around town it was just too loud. Also, the bike started coughing through the carbs and it just didn’t seem to have the punch t did with the stock or aftermarket pipes with the baffles (loss of backpressure??). I also noticed that the right rear exhaust seems a little louder than the left… Maybe I’m just imagining it. Lol I am really considering putting the stock exhaust back on. I have noticed that the bike runs rich, even more so after the aftermarket slip-ons were in place. Any suggestions?? The bike runs smooth, I am sure the carbs could use a sync. I just don’t want to tear into the carbs just yet for fear of messing up a running bike. I have noticed I need to use more choke on start-up, but the bike warms-up and runs great. When I first purchased the bike I did notice the bike would cough ever now and then, but the more I rode it the more it went away. I’ve been using Sea Foam every other tank. Any Info, suggestions, or input is greatly appreciated!!

PS. A huge shout out to Seam Morely for the How-to video on removing the head shake. Thank You!!!

Well how the carbs are set up.....if you flow more air out of the exhaust....you also pull more fuel as well. So your definitely running richer with this set up than what you were with the stock set up. You can go down a jet size or 2.....and get that performance back if you so chose.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Bike carbs have not been touched. Completely stock. We have dealerships in the area, but I wouldn't let them touch my bicycle... Just afraid of when you start messing with things it opens up a can of worms... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume the pea shooter method will remedy the cough? Anyone have an idea on why one exhaust sounds louder. Scavenging???

Might be time to think about doing the carbs. 4200 miles in almost 10 years is about 400 or so miles average per year, means it has probably sit not used for extended times, which is hard on the carbs, especialy if ethenol laced fuel is used.

I think most Vmaxes snort and spit a little until fully warmed up. If you've been runnung seafoam, you might have good luck with the peashooter and shotgun methods though.

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. Anyone good with carbs close to me??? Lol

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. Anyone good with carbs close to me??? Lol

There are Very sharp people on this forum that can help you with any issue you have. Way better than most Yamaha mechanics.

Thanks guys for the great info. I think I am going to invest in the carbtune for the winter tinkering. We are getting close to the end of riding season here in WV, so I have a nice little winter project on my hands. Figure I am going to try the pea shooter shotgun procedure and also synchronize the carbs an see if that remedies those little gremlins.

Ok guys, took a nice 25 mile ride yesterday and the bike ran well with no issues. Sea foam must have helped. I noticed that the right exhaust is louder than the left (Delkevic slip-ons)... Thought it may be all in my head, but it is louder. I did notice that the slip-on itself has some small leaks around where the canister is put together. My thoughts are that the muffler is either faulty or there may be some manufacturing differences. I am going to pull it off and put it on the left side and see if it is loud on the left. It almost sounds like a 4 into 1 riding down the road. Has anyone ever experienced this with this or other four into two slip ons?? Its weirding me out that one pipe is louder than the other. So far I am not impressed with the delkevic cans... Nothing but little issues since I have mounted them. On my 2000 R6 I used to have that I purchased brand new, I had installed a Yoshimura Slip-on and it was awesome with no issues...

Lol. Yes, but my OCD likes the symmetrical look of two pipes...

When I get the time I think I'm going to... The bike was happier

Ok guys. Put the stock exhaust back on and I have a leak. Where can I get the factory exhaust gasket material to seal the exhaust pipes???

Ok guys. Put the stock exhaust back on and I have a leak. Where can I get the factory exhaust gasket material to seal the exhaust pipes???

I've ordered it from Sean before.

Hey guys, been a while since I have posted. To busy and trying to ride when I can. I have 2006 with roughly 4200 miles on it. I modified the stock exhaust and I really liked the sound. Bike has always run pretty good. Modifications so far are just the modified stock exhaust and a K&N Filter. Over the summer I also added a new set of Metzeller Rubber (Love them!) Loving the sound of the Vmax :eusa_dance:I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a set of Delkevic slip-ons. I purchased the carbon Fiber cans with the 200mm openings (short ones). At first I liked the sound at idle and the look. After riding it a bit I wasn’t really thrilled with the resonance they created. After a little more riding, I noticed that the Right rear exhaust sounded louder than the left. After giving the exhaust a look-over I noticed I could stick my finger in the exhaust (after it was cooled down of course) and wiggle the baffle. I figured the baffle had worked loose. I checked the bolt for the baffle and it was tight. So in true fashion I just removed the baffles. :punk: I really liked the sound at idle, but after a ride around town it was just too loud. Also, the bike started coughing through the carbs and it just didn’t seem to have the punch t did with the stock or aftermarket pipes with the baffles (loss of backpressure??). I also noticed that the right rear exhaust seems a little louder than the left… Maybe I’m just imagining it. Lol I am really considering putting the stock exhaust back on. I have noticed that the bike runs rich, even more so after the aftermarket slip-ons were in place. Any suggestions?? The bike runs smooth, I am sure the carbs could use a sync. I just don’t want to tear into the carbs just yet for fear of messing up a running bike. I have noticed I need to use more choke on start-up, but the bike warms-up and runs great. When I first purchased the bike I did notice the bike would cough ever now and then, but the more I rode it the more it went away. I’ve been using Sea Foam every other tank. Any Info, suggestions, or input is greatly appreciated!!

PS. A huge shout out to Seam Morely for the How-to video on removing the head shake. Thank You!!!

I'm not sure if I've interpreted this correctly? It sounds to me that you might think that you have to get into the carbs to synch them, you don't. It is a simple 15 minute procedure that is all external, just in case you are putting it off as a winter project, you shouldn't. The other thing is that you said that it is running rich, but then stated that you need a bit MORE choke to start it??? If you add choke you are making it even more rich than before. I was always under the impression that when you changed exhaust to get better breathing/airflow that you could then richen it up a bit to efficiently burn the extra fuel and get more power. Even if it pulls more fuel itself with the extra airflow, that should be what you want, I would think. If you have more air but no extra fuel you would then be running too lean. Just my view on these two points. Hope you get it all fixed up, doesn't sound too bad to start with though.

Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt. I noticed that when I performed the stock exhaust modification, the big seemed a bit rich. Then when I installed the slip-on a little more richness... "The stock muffler is heavy cavernous and supply's a lot of back pressure". After removing the baffles even richer... After fiddling and modifying all sorts of motorized vehicles. From small block Chevys to flat head dirt track go-karts there is a fine balance. Finding that balance is an art. Lol.

Latest posts

Back