2009 V-MAX 12500 km / rough running engine under 3000 RPM

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Martin

Reaction score
Has anybody had same problem on riding, like misfiring under 3000 RPM? Over 3000 RPM it runs normal. How did you fix it?

How rough? Has it always been that way?

The reason I ask is that the bike has a lean surge right around 3000 rpm from the factory. Its very obvious when trying to cruise at around that rpm.

The only fix for that issue an ECU reflash.... I tried in vain to tune it out with a Power Commander to no avail.

Well, it has the Nash flash, Hindle 4 into 1 and K&N mod. Is there known issues with the factory ignition coils? What about injectors, has anybody had problems with those?

No, no problems with any of those components to my knowledge. As these bikes age some things may start to show up. Yours has very low mileage though, many out there have more than 4x that without issues.

If it was my bike, I would run a good fuel system cleaner through it like Techron. I would also sync the throttle bodies, out of sync throttle bodies can make the engine run very rough and is most noticeable at low rpm.

Then you should be looking at things like a bad or fouled sparkplug or if you live in a dusty area a real dirty air filter.

If it truly is a misfire you can identify which cylinder by checking the temperature of each head pipe after it's been running for a short time. That could help narrow down where the problem is.

Last edited:
I have an 09 also,it surges,sometimes idles at 2500 rpm by itself while riding City speed limits.Took the bike to 2 shops in Tucson,they claim they pinpointed the problem, whole new wiring harness for 1100 dollars,just so fed up with issue,ready to trade bike in,just bought it from RideNow here in town,bike has been in shop more than in driveway...

A lot of the 2009s had a recall for throttle position sensors and something else sensor related ground problem recall was a section of the harness was replaced under warranty not sure if that has anything to do with your issue since yours has been checked just passing on that information,might want to check you’re vin to see if it falls within the recall range good luck

Oops forgot to mention that the symptoms were erratic idling and occasionally stalling mine never experienced any symptoms but had the recall done anyway

Do you know if the throttle bodies have ever been synced? There was another person on here with a brand new bike....and was complaining of erratic idle and the bike dying at stop signs.

My 2010 with nash flash has same problem under 3500 rpm it misses & sounds like its running on 3 cylinder over 3500 it runs great.

I have an 09 also,it surges,sometimes idles at 2500 rpm by itself while riding City speed limits.Took the bike to 2 shops in Tucson,they claim they pinpointed the problem, whole new wiring harness for 1100 dollars,just so fed up with issue,ready to trade bike in,just bought it from RideNow here in town,bike has been in shop more than in driveway...

Sorry to hear about your issue. The only problem I know of related to an erratic Idle was addressed with a recall for a small section of the wiring harness. I've never heard of an entire wiring harness needing to be replaced. The section is the connections to the TPS and APS sensors, its only a few wires and not a big job.

Do you know how to use the diagnostics mode to check for any codes that may be active?

A lot of the 2009s had a recall for throttle position sensors and something else sensor related ground problem recall was a section of the harness was replaced under warranty not sure if that has anything to do with your issue since yours has been checked just passing on that information,might want to check you’re vin to see if it falls within the recall range good luck
Got a call from a different Ridenow yesterday, they had the bike for 2 hours,found the problem, the recall that was supposed to be done,wasnt done by a tech in Los Angeles, where bike was purchased new.So tired of lazy ass people not doing there jobs,the shop pulled the cover and found the ecm still had the original connectors on it,shop is ordering new recall harness,should have my bike back in a week and a half,finally running the way it should....hope tech is still at shop and they fire his ass when Yamaha investigates to why there paying for the same recall to be done again,lazy make me sick to my stomach

It is the same issues I have,took to another shop,found that the recall was said to be completed in 2011 was never done,I was ready to buy a ECM because of this lazy ass incompetence,hope they investigate to why there paying for another recall,hope they fire his lazy ass....people suck

Sorry to hear about your issue. The only problem I know of related to an erratic Idle was addressed with a recall for a small section of the wiring harness. I've never heard of an entire wiring harness needing to be replaced. The section is the connections to the TPS and APS sensors, its only a few wires and not a big job.

Do you know how to use the diagnostics mode to check for any codes that may be active?
There was a code 50,pops up when trying to start,fuel pump relay code,replaced that relay and fuel pump,found out there was a recall that was not done,but on shop says it was completed,there ordering new wiring recall harness for me tuesday

Do you know if the throttle bodies have ever been synced? There was another person on here with a brand new bike....and was complaining of erratic idle and the bike dying at stop signs.
They sync the throttle the time they had it there for 10 days,said it fixed problem,was back in shop 4 days later for same issue

Good to hear you’re able to get the recall done and still get the harness section my dealer let me hang around and watch.Also had the oil pump recall done there unfortunately the dealer just recently closed very sad.

Has anybody had same problem on riding, like misfiring under 3000 RPM? Over 3000 RPM it runs normal. How did you fix it?
My 2009 had exactly the same problem. I asked Tim Nash for his thoughts and he said it probably was the plugs. I really didn't believe him, but put in four new ones. Perfect!! Ran great at any tom. Examining the old plugs showed them slightly too wide gapped. It appears the ignition is good enough for the correct gap but not much more. Maybe related to needing full primary voltage from good rpm. Had exactly the same problem and fix with my Yamaha jet ski also with COP ignition.

My 2009 had exactly the same problem. I asked Tim Nash for his thoughts and he said it probably was the plugs. I really didn't believe him, but put in four new ones. Perfect!! Ran great at any tom. Examining the old plugs showed them slightly too wide gapped. It appears the ignition is good enough for the correct gap but not much more. Maybe related to needing full primary voltage from good rpm. Had exactly the same problem and fix with my Yamaha jet ski also with COP ignition.
I've changed my plugs at 7,000 miles,put a new fuel pump relay,new fuel pump,still died and idled weird,took to 2 different places,2nd place found the recall was not done for tps/aps bad crimp,even though it shows the oil pump recall and wiring recall were completed in California, they removed the phony tank skin and found it still has original connectors at ecm,should of had different color connector,there ordering me a new harness from Yamaha tuesday,should have my back by next Thursday, hopefully, hate fucking lazy techs,cost me alot of money and down time

Throttle bodies were synced at 1st shop I took bike to,about 3 weeks ago

Hey blackbird when that recall is taken care of you’re gonna love that 09 it’s a shame what some dealers did the oil pump recall was a real nightmare a lot of motors were trashed because of bad tech’s not properly lining up the teeth!

Hey blackbird when that recall is taken care of you’re gonna love that 09 it’s a shame what some dealers did the oil pump recall was a real nightmare a lot of motors were trashed because of bad tech’s not properly lining up the teeth!
I love it now...just frustrated with the whole 6 months I had it,waiting for dealer to call tomorrow to let me know if oil pump recall was completed,luckily I have another bike,my slick black 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa, but actually am looking forward to getting my Vmax back,running at 100 percent

Back