2009 VMAX ~ K&N filter installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16333

Reaction score
So, I go to recharge my K&N Filter for the first time since I've owned it.
Does it look like the previous owner has the installation of filter incorrect?
Picture 1

The filter fits both ways.
Pic 2.

Which way is correct?

So, I go to recharge my K&N Filter for the first time since I've owned it.
Does it look like the previous owner has the installation of filter incorrect?
Picture 1

The filter fits both ways.
Pic 2.

Which way is correct?

The first photo with the element on the outside.

If you install it the other way the filter will interfere with the velocity stacks (YCCI System).

I appreciate the info.. I have just oiled up and will re-install in a few hours.

The bike has a stalling issue (displayed code 11), so I took it in for diagnoses..
The Cam Position sensor was replaced. That took care of one of the stalling issues.
Before the CPS was replaced, she would die constantly, you had to pull over and wait for
something to re-set before it would fire up, sometimes 30 minutes.

Now, it's stalling about 2 or three times a day. With this stall, I can pop the clutch, it
fires every time.. The shop is working with Yamaha, but there is no sense of urgency.
Bike has 35K, I have not replaced the plugs, but the bike runs strong, no misfires..
She seems to stall (total stall engine shut down, no sputtering) either at cruising speed or at idle..
Any thoughts?

Recent replacement of air filter 10K on it and cleaned today, battery, stator, rectifier regulator, starter motor, coolant. Recall for part of the wiring harness. Cam Position sensor
2009 Vmax mods: Gurued Gear ECU Re-flash ~ Akrapovic exhaust.

Last edited:
Back