2009 Vmax- Which oil should I go with

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a Gen 1 rider and loving Rotella, I was thinking I'd use it in the gen2, is there any reason not to? Should I go synthetic? I would think with this new a machine, that should be ok, but I wanted to ask for experiences here. I just got the recall done for the oil pump (Just got the bike, had 4200 miles on it, and had not had the oil pump recall done). All opinions are welcome, and not trying to start any sort of debate, but I didn't find much here on the Gen 2 and oil. Thanks in advance!

Joe

It seems some people have experienced clutch slip when running various Motul oils...

I use Motul 300V in all of my other bikes, with the exception of the two Harleys, but will run Mobil 1 for bikes in the VMAX when I change the oil for the first time since buying it.

I just changed my oil and I happened to be at the dealership so I purchased the factory recommended oil. I too was a rotella guy with my 1st Gen but I’ll admit I was a little hesitant to put anything else in it. I also changed plugs, it was at about 15k miles and let me tell ya iridium plugs are not cheap.

Being a Gen 1 rider and loving Rotella, I was thinking I'd use it in the gen2, is there any reason not to? Should I go synthetic? I would think with this new a machine, that should be ok, but I wanted to ask for experiences here. I just got the recall done for the oil pump (Just got the bike, had 4200 miles on it, and had not had the oil pump recall done). All opinions are welcome, and not trying to start any sort of debate, but I didn't find much here on the Gen 2 and oil. Thanks in advance!

Joe
Hi
Got 2018 max last year my feeling is yamalube for sure but watch Jeff marcum you tube videos for discussion the owner manual has no mention of synthetic at all and any engineer who built design Yamaha engine design the proper oil at same time see what you like I am starting to change my own oil soon
Gorki

I just changed my oil and I happened to be at the dealership so I purchased the factory recommended oil. I too was a rotella guy with my 1st Gen but I’ll admit I was a little hesitant to put anything else in it. I also changed plugs, it was at about 15k miles and let me tell ya iridium plugs are not cheap.
What was the factory recommended oil? I'm fine with using that, but I can't seem to find anything on it. I'd really like to go synthetic since I'm sure that's going to lead to smoother shifting and longer engine life, but if that's not what they say to put it, I'll most likely follow what they say. I know yamalube has a synthetic, but I just don't know if that's what they would recommend.

Joe

Went with Yamalube for the change, and put a K & N filter on. Next summer or so I'll change it again, since it's still under 5,000 miles I figure I'll paper it a bit to make sure she stays happy. :)

Joe

I went the Yamalube route last year. All good.
As a treat I went with Liqui Moly this year for my Gen 2 .
Probably makes no difference but in my mind I dig the Liqui Moly.
They are big sponsors of Formula 1 and it is made close to my Dad's birthplace in Germany.
I think if you treat your equipment well it will return the favour.
At least it had better try because this synthetic stuff is expensive.

Torco. Imagine. Fighting the Nazi's and the Army chemists formulate Oil that gives your plane 8 more horses when you change over. This is verified. Both by Dyno tests and 8th Air Corp North Africa 1943.

Back