2012 with 475 miles been sitting... oil change??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathpulse

Reaction score
I have a 2012 vmax with about 475 miles on it. I bought it a few years ago and it had to sit in a nice garage for a while because I was not around to ride it. The battery still has enough juice to start it but I am concerned about the oil. It is the original crank case oil and it's old at this point. Should I replace it with 10/40 synthetic or regular oil. Any brand suggestions? Should I still have the dealer change it at 600 miles or maybe I should change it at all until 600? It is still under 5 year top Yamaha war if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

With that little mileage I don't see a need to change it. I would get it up over 600 and then change it out at the recommended interval.

You want to make sure it's broken in before switching to synthetic......I would do that on the change AFTER this next one, not at 600 miles.

Yes, change it after bringing it up to normal operating temp. and then fill it w/whatever Yamaha calls-for, I think getting 1-2K miles on it before going to full-synthetic motorcycle-specific oil is indicated.

Oil is cheap, engines are not. I wouldn't run it on 3 year old oil other than to change it.

I would just run it, no need to change it. If the factory calls for changing it at 600 and your taking it to the dealer, then just take it for a quick Saturday ride, you should easily be able to hit 125 miles in a a few hours. Take it to the dealer and have them service it.

Lets face it, we cyclists change our oil way more often and way earlier than we need. (Read that, excessively)

It's easy and cheap so why not right? Unless you are racing and at risk of shaving metal parts at an accelerated rate, we really change oil wastefully often.

3 year old oil-- Let me see------- ----------- get it? Change it. And i would suggest you do it yourself so you are more familiar with what you paid your hard earned dollars for!!! Get your hands dirty and it feels like you own it.

Back