2013 vmax speedo off by almost 5 mph?? What do I do??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooney

Reaction score
I have a 2013 vmax that is about three months I recently found out the speedometer was off About 3 to 5 miles an hour Not quite sure what to do I have called multiple dealers and they tell me that there is nothing that they can do to fix it And that speedo's are not Perfectly accurate at all But most of the speedo's that I know are within 1 mile an hour and by law they are supposed to be within 3 miles an hour or less Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do next?

AFAIK all speedos, including cars and bikes, can be up to 5-10% out, and are usually 'optimistic', so that an indicated 70mph can be anything between 63 and 70mph actual.

You best bet is to fit a SatNav, or a phone bracket and runs NavFree on your phone. That's as accurate as satellite tracking can be.

Go 3-5 mph slower but that's no fun. Google "Speedhealer". Not sure if they have the fix for a G2 though.

I have a 2013 vmax that is about three months I recently found out the speedometer was off About 3 to 5 miles an hour Not quite sure what to do I have called multiple dealers and they tell me that there is nothing that they can do to fix it And that speedo's are not Perfectly accurate at all But most of the speedo's that I know are within 1 mile an hour and by law they are supposed to be within 3 miles an hour or less Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Percentagewise 3-5 miles should be very small on a GenII ?? :biglaugh:

yep, there is one for the Gen II
I have been running one for 25,000 miles plus.
The Gen II is off by 7%
It also add miles to your bike if you dont run it....

Back when we had the 85 mph speedos they had to be very accurate but when that law was repealed I believe the accuracy requirement went with it. There still is one but it is not as strict. My Suzuki Bandit was about 9% fast according to my GPS. Since I have changed my Max front tire to a 110/80-18 radial my speedo is even more inaccurate...

I checked my 03 today with my Garmin GPS. Mine is right on the numbers up to 140KM/H. At 140 indicated I was doing 139 and at 160 indicated I was doing 158. I consider that pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SpeedoDRD-Y...ies&hash=item3cc6498e73&vxp=mtr#ht_1896wt_974

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

I put one of these speed healers made by 12oclocklabs on each of our Hondas, and also on my wifes' 2009 Gen II Vmax. They are less $$ than the SpeedHealer brand, and install just as easily. Both our Gen II's, with the 240mm wide wheel option installed, were off right at 8%, and this device cured the wife's bike. My 09 Gen II came with the other brand already installed, and set for an 8% correction as well.

I ve had bikes with speedo's off and as mentioned it racks the miles up. Imagine a 1000 mile trip that your speedo is 11 mph off......over the years it will add up. Yes its not a huge amount, but why have it show more miles than it really has.

I was under the impression the odometers had a stricter accuracy requirement than the speedometers for obvious reasons. My Bandit speedo was off about 7% but the odometer was spot on. This was verified by GPS.

Unless they function off two different methods, I can't see how one can be on and the other can be off.

Obviously with computer generated coding I can see that, but speedo cable driven bikes, not a possibility.

Unless they function off two different methods, I can't see how one can be on and the other can be off.

Obviously with computer generated coding I can see that, but speedo cable driven bikes, not a possibility.

wouldn't the odo and the speedo be driven off of one gear? then they split in a way?

so say a 25tooth gear (i'm over simplyfing) gear turns the odo right on, but they put a 26 tooth gear to spin the speedo. both off that main gear, one reads correct one reads wrong?

Gen II speedo/odo's are driven by a signal from a sensor on the front wheel. No cable like the Gen 1. The signal is then processed by the ECU and converted into what you see on the display. The very same signal is similtaneously sent to a 2nd ABS ECU for processing during braking.

To install either the Speed Healer or 12Oclocklabs brand speed healers, you have to cut the signal wire as it enters the Main ECU and reroute it through the device for correction. (Or it may be rerouting that signal after the ECU and before the display - not sure which)

At least, that's my interpretation of how it's done. I did find out there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in a white wire w/ a yellow stripe, and a yellow wire w/ a white stripe on that main ECU harness. If you try rerouting the wrong one, dedamnbikedontstart. One of these two wires is on the top side of that ECU harness, and easy to spot, while the other of the two is hidden on the bottom side of all those wires. Add that to the fact that I am partially color blind..............doo bee doo bee do. :whistlin:

Latest posts

Back