2020 running ruff. Not a happy camper

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckzx9

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought my 2020 with 2600 miles stock. I rode it a little and over the winter I got a dam exhaust, did airbox mod and had ecu nash flash. When I 1 st got it installed it was perfect. I had a smile from ear to ear every time I rode it. Now out of no where my bike stumbles while cruising. It feels like a carbureted bike to be really honest. No matter what gear when you are at cruising speed it sputters and has a dead spot. It only last until I give it more gas. This is so frustrating. I’ve wanted a gen 2 for years now I have it and just spent a pretty penny on accessories and extra parts. My set of skins are actually at the painters as I write this with a custom designed paint job. But this sputter is driving me crazy.

I’m hoping it plugs. Bike has 5800 miles and is always climate control in garage. She’s never seen rain or a hose.
I’m looking for any help. I do have my original ecu if I throw that inand it still sputters then it must be the plugs right? If I don’t figure this out soon I may be parting the hole damn thing on here. So as you can see I’m desperate I love this bike but I hope I didn’t make a mistake by
Flashing the ecu. I’m ope. To all options. I’ll try a pc5 if it will help. I’m trying to find someone around me so I can get it set up on the Dyno.
Sorry for the long post I’m half asleep but this has been eating at me lately.

Thanks in advance for reading

Mark Massa

Check the basics like plugs air and fuel filter, tank vent isn't restricted etc.
Check that there are no error codes.
Swap back to OE ECU.
If you still have the issue then as you have suggested the quickest, least frustrating and possibly cheaper option would be to have it dynoed which will give you hard data to work with.

Thank you. I’m gonna swap ECU after work today. I’m gonna change plugs too. Do you know the best plugs to put in by any chance?
It should not be the plugs, and changing them out is far from an easy task. I wouls suspect ECU and the exhaust you put on. My Best.
O

It should not be the plugs, and changing them out is far from an easy task. I wouls suspect ECU and the exhaust you put on. My Best.
O
Yeah I’m fortunate enough to have a dad that’s a mechanic and has quite a bit of snap on tools. He has a tool for everything lol. But I heard the left front is a pia. Oh yeah my dad loves Motorcycle and has 3. He’s the reason I love bikes too lol. Thanks for response 👍

Try BG44K additive it's the Best on the market. Good Squirt and Run it thru. Do couple tanks and see what it does. Has helped me for sure. Imo.q👊👊

Update. I tried my original ecu and it still sputters. So it’s definitely not the flash. I bought some BG44K but haven’t rode it enough to run it through yet. I ordered the 2nd tool kit yesterday but after reading all the comments on changing the plugs I made an appointment at my local MC shop. They are changing them on Tuesday. I just don’t want to dislike this bike anymore than I do right now. I’m hoping this has my bike running like it did when I 1st changed my exhaust and installed the flashed ecu. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻.

Update. I tried my original ecu and it still sputters. So it’s definitely not the flash. I bought some BG44K but haven’t rode it enough to run it through yet. I ordered the 2nd tool kit yesterday but after reading all the comments on changing the plugs I made an appointment at my local MC shop. They are changing them on Tuesday. I just don’t want to dislike this bike anymore than I do right now. I’m hoping this has my bike running like it did when I 1st changed my exhaust and installed the flashed ecu. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻.
Good luck and please keep updating. Mine is a 2019 with no engine or software mods. I have done quite a bit of lighting and accessory work. I thought about a Tuneboy but am not going to touch the ECU.

Put it back to stock open the air box and get it flashed for that. Just saying
I put in the original ecu to see if it was the flash. It did the same exact thing. The only time I will put her back to 100% stock totally I would sell her. I wouldn’t go through all that trouble to just find out it was plugs or a fuel issue. I also use exclusively 91+ octane gas. I read that some have had issues with running super all the time and ruining plugs. I was so in love with this bike but when it starts running like crap you can fall out of love just as fast. I’m trying to stay positive because I don’t want a different bike, but I can’t have a 3 year old bike with low miles run like shit. I’m praying it’s the plugs 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Did you get this resolved? If not, perhaps it's your throttle/grip that is sticking.

Did you get this resolved? If not, perhaps it's your throttle/grip that is sticking.
Nope not resolved yet. Brought bike off yesterday to local garage to change plugs. He calls me today and says he won’t do it. So I made an appointment with a Yamaha dealer about 40 min from my house. Let’s see how that goes. Looking into possibly getting a power commander and an autotune. Would like to find someone local that can tune it on the Dyno. I just want the damn thing to run smooth. I’m not doing it for more power. But I’m not gonna complain about more power. I really am regretting even buying this bike right now. Never had issues like this on my gen 1’s. I reached out to Sean for some help hope he can put me back on love affair i had with my bike before it started running like crap. I’ll update when I have good news. Or you’ll see my 2020 for sale on here.

So I bought my 2020 with 2600 miles stock. I rode it a little and over the winter I got a dam exhaust, did airbox mod and had ecu nash flash. When I 1 st got it installed it was perfect. I had a smile from ear to ear every time I rode it. Now out of no where my bike stumbles while cruising. It feels like a carbureted bike to be really honest. No matter what gear when you are at cruising speed it sputters and has a dead spot. It only last until I give it more gas. This is so frustrating. I’ve wanted a gen 2 for years now I have it and just spent a pretty penny on accessories and extra parts. My set of skins are actually at the painters as I write this with a custom designed paint job. But this sputter is driving me crazy.

I’m hoping it plugs. Bike has 5800 miles and is always climate control in garage. She’s never seen rain or a hose.
I’m looking for any help. I do have my original ecu if I throw that inand it still sputters then it must be the plugs right? If I don’t figure this out soon I may be parting the hole damn thing on here. So as you can see I’m desperate I love this bike but I hope I didn’t make a mistake by
Flashing the ecu. I’m ope. To all options. I’ll try a pc5 if it will help. I’m trying to find someone around me so I can get it set up on the Dyno.
Sorry for the long post I’m half asleep but this has been eating at me lately.

Thanks in advance for reading

Mark Massa
Ethanol fuel is the worst. If I had to guess after sitting all winter this could be your problem. It collects moisture. Either drain the tank and add new fuel or add a gas treatment like sea foam “ not a full can” just a 1/4 can should do unless you want a full on smoke show. This should clean your fuel system and help burn off the old fuel. Before I park mine for the winter I add sea foam and run it for a bit then turn off the gas and let it run out until it dies to get all the gas’s out of the carburetors.

Back