2020 VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah , im over it, I did go look at a few, wow how damn expensive they are , no technology , or horsepower, not to mention $450.00 charge for service( fluid changes)its no wonder harley isnt doing so well, throwing a 210 on the max, that should give a more aggressive look, hopefully it will not affect the handling , be safe out there

If you like twisties stay away from going to a wider tire. It will slow the bikes ability to 'flick' from side to side. That's why you don't see 'Sport' bikes with massively wide tires on the rear. Not only that, but the 200 will outperform the 240 in the quarter due to more weight to get moving and the way a tire 'flattens' out the 200 will actually have a larger 'contact patch'.... lot of guys might argue this but it's true. Stay with the stock sizes.

If you like twisties stay away from going to a wider tire. It will slow the bikes ability to 'flick' from side to side. That's why you don't see 'Sport' bikes with massively wide tires on the rear. Not only that, but the 200 will outperform the 240 in the quarter due to more weight to get moving and the way a tire 'flattens' out the 200 will actually have a larger 'contact patch'.... lot of guys might argue this but it's true. Stay with the stock sizes.

+1. I've ridden a lot of miles on both sized tires. I can go just as fast on the 240 but it is much more work.......to the point that if you go all out on a road like the Dragon a couple of times, you'll be worn out and it stops being fun.

+1. I've ridden a lot of miles on both sized tires. I can go just as fast on the 240 but it is much more work.......to the point that if you go all out on a road like the Dragon a couple of times, you'll be worn out and it stops being fun.

Not trying to be argumentative here, however, it may 'feel' like you're going just as fast as either tire, but the stopwatch will tell you differently. It is physically impossible for the wider tire to get 'side to side' as quickly as the standard size tired. That slows you down, NO way around it..... When I went from a 160 to a 180 on my 13' Streetbob, I noticed the difference immediately. And as already stated, you do not find monster wide tires on the sport bikes..... but to each their own.

Not trying to be argumentative here, however, it may 'feel' like you're going just as fast as either tire, but the stopwatch will tell you differently. It is physically impossible for the wider tire to get 'side to side' as quickly as the standard size tired. That slows you down, NO way around it..... When I went from a 160 to a 180 on my 13' Streetbob, I noticed the difference immediately. And as already stated, you do not find monster wide tires on the sport bikes..... but to each their own.

Probably slower in tight switchbacks....not much though WITH the right tire. I'm no fan of the wide wide wheel I had one on my first Gen 2 but only because it allowed me to shoe up a now unavailable Conti Race Attack tire. This was the only tire that would give acceptable (to me) traction after I lost the cat and tuned the bike. It had a sport bike tire profile and had amazing traction so it inspired speed through the turns. As soon as that tire was determined to be defective in design and taken off the market I went right back to a 200 wheel/tire. Close to that time Shinko came out with the Verge 011 which I consider to be better than the OEM Bridgestone from a traction standpoint and that's what I used until I sold that bike.

My newer Gen 2 I bought used with a 240 wheel already mounted. It had a Metzeler on it which was just horrible as far as turning the bike goes. I took it off after 2 rides and mounted a Dunlop Q2. The Q2 is a true sport bike tire and has a profile that works probably as good as you're going to get in a 240 size. It's also sticky which is important to me because this bike makes 263 HP at the wheel. So the wide wheel will stay on there despite the fact that I'm not a fan.

So yeah, I will never recommend mounting up a wide wheel to anyone that is looking for maximum performance. It slows down how fast you can turn the bike, and robs 8 HP as well.

It does look great though so I can see why a lot of people are interested in them, especially if they live in an area where they are not frequently running through the twisty stuff.

Probably slower in tight switchbacks....not much though WITH the right tire. I'm no fan of the wide wide wheel I had one on my first Gen 2 but only because it allowed me to shoe up a now unavailable Conti Race Attack tire. This was the only tire that would give acceptable (to me) traction after I lost the cat and tuned the bike. It had a sport bike tire profile and had amazing traction so it inspired speed through the turns. As soon as that tire was determined to be defective in design and taken off the market I went right back to a 200 wheel/tire. Close to that time Shinko came out with the Verge 011 which I consider to be better than the OEM Bridgestone from a traction standpoint and that's what I used until I sold that bike.

My newer Gen 2 I bought used with a 240 wheel already mounted. It had a Metzeler on it which was just horrible as far as turning the bike goes. I took it off after 2 rides and mounted a Dunlop Q2. The Q2 is a true sport bike tire and has a profile that works probably as good as you're going to get in a 240 size. It's also sticky which is important to me because this bike makes 263 HP at the wheel. So the wide wheel will stay on there despite the fact that I'm not a fan.

So yeah, I will never recommend mounting up a wide wheel to anyone that is looking for maximum performance. It slows down how fast you can turn the bike, and robs 8 HP as well.

It does look great though so I can see why a lot of people are interested in them, especially if they live in an area where they are not frequently running through the twisty stuff.

263??? Ungodly numbers... Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous?????

I'm not the op, but I look at these as if we are all sitting around a table drinking beer and shooting the sh.......... Crap. No harm no foul....... But I'm not the op.

A.b.s. light flashing , sensor? Only 3500 miles on bike, too soon to be having issues!

Well, kept my vmax, and purchased my street glide, 1 is for show , 1is for go, I must admit its quite comfortable , and practical, on the other hand, I've spent the last 3 out of 5 weekends wrenching on it, think I have most of the bugs worked out time wrenching on V MAX NONE, she'll never let me down

Attachments

• 20200222_084321.jpg
    20200222_084321.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 33
Well, kept my vmax, and purchased my street glide, 1 is for show , 1is for go, I must admit its quite comfortable , and practical, on the other hand, I've spent the last 3 out of 5 weekends wrenching on it, think I have most of the bugs worked out time wrenching on V MAX NONE, she'll never let me down

Good for you!

Nice combo of bikes...... enjoy!

Last edited:
Maybe they live by the old motto, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I have a feeling Yama is setting up the MT-10 to be the new VMAX, and bring an updated version of the SP to the USA in 2021. It is a far lighter machine with great tech and lighting and handling and the R-1 motor tuned for more lower end torque. Great after market products and services too. Gas mileage, average of 30,,so still very thirsty.

I have a feeling Yama is setting up the MT-10 to be the new VMAX, and bring an updated version of the SP to the USA in 2021. It is a far lighter machine with great tech and lighting and handling and the R-1 motor tuned for more lower end torque. Great after market products and services too. Gas mileage, average of 30,,so still very thirsty.

I've been feeling the need to add another bike to my collection, problem is I don't know what I want, just something under 7Gs our around there.... But I've been eye balling the MT series.... Still unsure though. Prolly next year, over got entirely too much going on right now. Gotta get my V max paid off, get things packed up to move.... Watch my marriage of 13 years go to waste, decide if I want fix the body on my truck or trade it, which means no new bike.... If I trade, but first I gotta get it up to par to pull a 30' enclosed trailer to my new place an hour away. Just a very fast living, stressed, time right now.... I've been riding when I can to help keep my head clear. Oh yeah, can't forget this virus BS, that doesn't help at all. Thankfully I'm still working, so that helps as well, lol. This roller coaster has gone to hell, lmao.

I've been feeling the need to add another bike to my collection, problem is I don't know what I want, just something under 7Gs our around there.... But I've been eye balling the MT series.... Still unsure though. Prolly next year, over got entirely too much going on right now. Gotta get my V max paid off, get things packed up to move.... Watch my marriage of 13 years go to waste, decide if I want fix the body on my truck or trade it, which means no new bike.... If I trade, but first I gotta get it up to par to pull a 30' enclosed trailer to my new place an hour away. Just a very fast living, stressed, time right now.... I've been riding when I can to help keep my head clear. Oh yeah, can't forget this virus BS, that doesn't help at all. Thankfully I'm still working, so that helps as well, lol. This roller coaster has gone to hell, lmao.

I am very sorry that some things are not going well for you now, I have been there and I can feel your emotions, I truly wish u the best, and at least you still have your job. My best to you. :)

I am very sorry that some things are not going well for you now, I have been there and I can feel your emotions, I truly wish u the best, and at least you still have your job. My best to you. :)

Thanks, I appreciate that.... And to top it all off a childhood friend whom I haven't seen or spoke to in about 25 years just somehow found her way back into my life, definitely a real rush of emotions to say the least lol.... Things happen for a reason, or it's all just a big sham.... Why does everything happen all at once?? Lol

Thanks, I appreciate that.... And to top it all off a childhood friend whom I haven't seen or spoke to in about 25 years just somehow found her way back into my life, definitely a real rush of emotions to say the least lol.... Things happen for a reason, or it's all just a big sham.... Why does everything happen all at once?? Lol
Well that must be a positive turn of events then, I am glad for you. I think many things can happen for a reason,,embrace it rebel. :)

Well that must be a positive turn of events then, I am glad for you. I think many things can happen for a reason,,embrace it rebel. :)
One door closes another opens.. Hang tough! Go for a ride when you can..

Good Luck!!

I'm hanging, pretty much cut everything loose. concentrating on work, and MY life now.... Still keeping my friends posted, but any outside chatter I'm ignoring Facebook, all that stuff. This weekend is gonna be a prime weekend for riding all sunshine and high 70s low 80s Saturday and Sunday.... I'm riding both days lol. After I get the front brakes done on my truck.... Upgrading to drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, and powder coated calipers, all from power stop better worth the $600 lol.... Should help get it slowed down a little better when I'm towing, lol. Right now the slides are froze solid so it only using the inside brake pad to stop with, lol. Don't dare tow my big ass trailer like that, not worth the risks. Thanks fellas for the support!! I appreciate it. This forum is full of good people, with the occasional bad Apple along the way, but life isn't fair, nor perfect. Just keep my head up, positive thoughts, lots of laughs and go about living.

I'm at that crossroad again, really want a street glide, but can't seem to part with my vmax, it seems like a good idea, stereo , bags, but as soon as start it hear that v4, my mind changes a bit, then as soon as i hit the throttle , it hits me .THIS IS A BAD ASS MACHINE, I'M KEEPING IT

Good choice like the SG color, I couldnt choose Yamahas so ended up with a Roadstar, a Royal Star Tour Deluxe AND a Stratoliner!...LOL...Lots of fun for not all that much money

Last edited:

Another vote for the Dunlop Q3 if you have the 240 rear wheel. I bought my bike used with it already installed and that tire is the best I found to put back there. Had to sell off all my other fun bikes and now that the Max is my only bike, I found a Stock rear rim and going back to the 200 even though Ive never ridden a max with a stock rear. Shinko Verge 011s going on this week. Just tired of wrestling with the bike in turns and I like turns.

Latest posts

Back