2020 VMAX

Discussion in '2nd Gen - the new VMax' started by Garydalton, Sep 5, 2019.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Sep 23, 2019 #21

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

If you like twisties stay away from going to a wider tire. It will slow the bikes ability to 'flick' from side to side. That's why you don't see 'Sport' bikes with massively wide tires on the rear. Not only that, but the 200 will outperform the 240 in the quarter due to more weight to get moving and the way a tire 'flattens' out the 200 will actually have a larger 'contact patch'.... lot of guys might argue this but it's true. Stay with the stock sizes.

Drum Dog and Itgoes like this.
  2. Sep 23, 2019 #22

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1. I've ridden a lot of miles on both sized tires. I can go just as fast on the 240 but it is much more work.......to the point that if you go all out on a road like the Dragon a couple of times, you'll be worn out and it stops being fun.

3. Sep 24, 2019 #23

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

Not trying to be argumentative here, however, it may 'feel' like you're going just as fast as either tire, but the stopwatch will tell you differently. It is physically impossible for the wider tire to get 'side to side' as quickly as the standard size tired. That slows you down, NO way around it..... When I went from a 160 to a 180 on my 13' Streetbob, I noticed the difference immediately. And as already stated, you do not find monster wide tires on the sport bikes..... but to each their own.

4. Sep 25, 2019 #24

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

Probably slower in tight switchbacks....not much though WITH the right tire. I'm no fan of the wide wide wheel I had one on my first Gen 2 but only because it allowed me to shoe up a now unavailable Conti Race Attack tire. This was the only tire that would give acceptable (to me) traction after I lost the cat and tuned the bike. It had a sport bike tire profile and had amazing traction so it inspired speed through the turns. As soon as that tire was determined to be defective in design and taken off the market I went right back to a 200 wheel/tire. Close to that time Shinko came out with the Verge 011 which I consider to be better than the OEM Bridgestone from a traction standpoint and that's what I used until I sold that bike.

My newer Gen 2 I bought used with a 240 wheel already mounted. It had a Metzeler on it which was just horrible as far as turning the bike goes. I took it off after 2 rides and mounted a Dunlop Q2. The Q2 is a true sport bike tire and has a profile that works probably as good as you're going to get in a 240 size. It's also sticky which is important to me because this bike makes 263 HP at the wheel. So the wide wheel will stay on there despite the fact that I'm not a fan.

So yeah, I will never recommend mounting up a wide wheel to anyone that is looking for maximum performance. It slows down how fast you can turn the bike, and robs 8 HP as well.

It does look great though so I can see why a lot of people are interested in them, especially if they live in an area where they are not frequently running through the twisty stuff.

07VMAX likes this.
  5. Sep 26, 2019 #25

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

6. Sep 26, 2019 #26

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

GuruedVMax

263??? Ungodly numbers... Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous?????

7. Sep 26, 2019 #27

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

Mildly boosted (6 lbs) with a supercharger.

IMG_20170603_173634607_HDR.jpg

I guess this thread has been hijacked beyond repair.......sorry about that OP. :oops:

Traumahawk and rebeltaz83 like this.
  8. Sep 26, 2019 #28

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

I'm not the op, but I look at these as if we are all sitting around a table drinking beer and shooting the sh.......... Crap. No harm no foul....... But I'm not the op.

Itgoes likes this.
  9. Oct 9, 2019 #29

Garydalton

Garydalton

Garydalton

A.b.s. light flashing , sensor? Only 3500 miles on bike, too soon to be having issues!