2nd gear experience

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaxmax

Reaction score
I am picking up a dirt cheap vmax with 2nd gear out. I'm looking for info on NOT repairing but just seeing how long it will last going 1st to 3rd?
Any ideas are appreciated.

I am picking up a dirt cheap vmax with 2nd gear out. I'm looking for info on NOT repairing but just seeing how long it will last going 1st to 3rd?
Any ideas are appreciated.
Blaxmax
If it's just popping out of 2nd & as long as you just shift it in a normal way I'd say you'd get tiered of riding the bike like that then before you had a problem.

Dave

I think you could ride it indefinitely like that, until something else goes bad, and who knows what/when that would be? I rode mine like that awhile before I did the tranny.

It would be like the cars that go from 1st to 3rd for max-ing-out fuel economy.

Should be able to ride for an extended period of time as has been mentioned.

I had a '76 455 pontiac trans am I shifted from 1st to 3rd then 4th because I felt it would break traction and it was not a problem.
This bike has a lot of $ put into it and after I rode it spitting 2nd gear out it pulled liked an SOB.
I thought hell for what he is asking you can't really lose.
It is lowered numbered than mine on the first built list and I don't think it's passable.
Thank you guys for the input.:clapping:

When I was growing-up, living by Lake Ontario, the pharmacist's kid got a first year SS/RS 396 Camaro. It had a Muncie 4-speed. When I rode w/him, he used to take off in 1st, and then short-shift to 3rd. I was always saying to myself, "man, if I owned this car, I'd be using all-four!" It wasn't until many years later that I finally had a Fox-body Mustang GT manual transmission, and I found myself doing the same thing. Call it 'lazy-driving,' but after awhile, especially in stop & go traffic, you just get tired of the chore of shifting. Besides, as you mature, you don't need to run to redline every time you start the vehicle, everyplace you drive/ride. And how-many of us have that much leeway on our moving violations, anyway?
P.S.: before the Mustang GT, I had two Trans Ams, one I bought barely a year-old, and the other was a 'gen-yu-wine' "Smokey & the Bandit" Hurst T-Hatch car I bought from the original owner, both were T-H 350 tranny's. Those cars got a lot of attention, but I liked to drive the Mustang GT the most.

I had a '76 455 pontiac trans am I shifted from 1st to 3rd then 4th because I felt it would break traction and it was not a problem.
This bike has a lot of $ put into it and after I rode it spitting 2nd gear out it pulled liked an SOB.
I thought hell for what he is asking you can't really lose.
It is lowered numbered than mine on the first built list and I don't think it's passable.
Thank you guys for the input.:clapping:

When I was growing-up, living by Lake Ontario, the pharmacist's kid got a first year SS/RS 396 Camaro. It had a Muncie 4-speed. When I rode w/him, he used to take off in 1st, and then short-shift to 3rd. I was always saying to myself, "man, if I owned this car, I'd be using all-four!" It wasn't until many years later that I finally had a Fox-body Mustang GT manual transmission, and I found myself doing the same thing. Call it 'lazy-driving,' but after awhile, especially in stop & go traffic, you just get tired of the chore of shifting. Besides, as you mature, you don't need to run to redline every time you start the vehicle, everyplace you drive/ride. And how-many of us have that much leeway on our moving violations, anyway?
P.S.: before the Mustang GT, I had two Trans Ams, one I bought barely a year-old, and the other was a 'gen-yu-wine' "Smokey & the Bandit" Hurst T-Hatch car I bought from the original owner, both were T-H 350 tranny's. Those cars got a lot of attention, but I liked to drive the Mustang GT the most.
I luv reading this mans stories--turbo 400 was the way to go with pontiacs
although not much of an improvement from a t-h350. I pulled a saginaw 4 speed tranny and replaced it with a turbo 400 with a shift kit for more consistant racing. Bottom line was TA"s were were too heavy to race but fun to drive and you must tint the windows to avoid attention.
Tons of torque though.

It's something I never had, a fire-breathing four-wheeled streetcar, though I've had Z28's, Trans Am's, and Mustang GT's, they were all stock, or nearly-so. Still, that way they retained their reliability, and if I wanted to go fast, I usually had a streetbike that was much-better for that.

I've got plenty of friends who have had hot streetcars. Some had shops, and bought & sold whatever came along in the way of performance cars. That way I got to enjoy the ride w/o the cost and expense of ownership.

Some of the guys I knew of, and with whom I rode, had ties to racing, from Indy car team owners, to IMSA GTP racers. Those guys always had hot rides. One guy I went to college with in MI had a family company supplying the auto/RV industry. He had quite a variety of cars, from a Lotus 7, to a Pantera, to a Ferrari 250 GT. The best-handling of those 3 was the Lotus. The Ferrari was the most comfortable and today those are worth huge $$$. This one isn't his, but you get the idea: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/sale-one-ferrari-250-gt-price-ps55m

It's something I never had, a fire-breathing four-wheeled streetcar, though I've had Z28's, Trans Am's, and Mustang GT's, they were all stock, or nearly-so. Still, that way they retained their reliability, and if I wanted to go fast, I usually had a streetbike that was much-better for that.

I've got plenty of friends who have had hot streetcars. Some had shops, and bought & sold whatever came along in the way of performance cars. That way I got to enjoy the ride w/o the cost and expense of ownership.

Some of the guys I knew of, and with whom I rode, had ties to racing, from Indy car team owners, to IMSA GTP racers. Those guys always had hot rides. One guy I went to college with in MI had a family company supplying the auto/RV industry. He had quite a variety of cars, from a Lotus 7, to a Pantera, to a Ferrari 250 GT. The best-handling of those 3 was the Lotus. The Ferrari was the most comfortable and today those are worth huge $$$. This one isn't his, but you get the idea: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/sale-one-ferrari-250-gt-price-ps55m
FM I never owned anything I could leave stock.
After reading this 1 thing comes to mind----lotus turbine.
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/lotus-turbine-racecar/

I've been blessed so much in life!! I restored a 71 Dodge Challenger Convertible, not sure if you could call it fire breathing, but it ran 13.40's at 104 on street tires. My wife still loved me after the 2 year build process. She called it the mail order car.
OPPS, hijacked again, I just couldn't resist.
I think you could ride the bike for years, even though i have no experience to make that call. I trust Sean

Thanks guys, I can actually hold the shifter up to the top after shifting into 2nd
and it will stay under hard acceleration.

I hate to revive what's looking like a dead thread, but I have been riding my '92 with the aforementioned 2nd gear problem for close to 3k miles.
I just started noticing problems with 3rd occasionally slipping at low speeds and stuttering(gives a bit of a jolt like when you shift into first at a stop from neutral)
Could just be the clutch, but definitely something to be aware of if you plan on continuing on the bad transmission.
P.S. - I tend to ride a little more aggressive than I probably should.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I just replaced the segment and it shifts alot smoother. You might try it as it cost less than $50 to do by myself. I didn't even have to change the clutch cover gasket. If you need help holler.

I just replaced the segment and it shifts alot smoother. You might try it as it cost less than $50 to do by myself. I didn't even have to change the clutch cover gasket. If you need help holler.
I'll have to check that out... Going to have the bike pulled apart soon anyways.
Transmission locked into first gear today while exiting the interstate.

I'll have to check that out... Going to have the bike pulled apart soon anyways.
Transmission locked into first gear today while exiting the interstate.

Hey, I will be home in a couple of weeks, I can stop by and help if you want. I'll buy the refreshments and pizza?

Hey, I will be home in a couple of weeks, I can stop by and help if you want. I'll buy the refreshments and pizza?
Haha if you like!!
Gonna call A&A and see if they have any parts on hand that I can pick up cheap.
Thinking may have a bent shift fork. :/

Haha if you like!!
Gonna call A&A and see if they have any parts on hand that I can pick up cheap.
Thinking may have a bent shift fork. :/

Well, I have a motorcycle lift that I can let you borrow for an extended time if you need, and jack stands.....etc.

Well, I have a motorcycle lift that I can let you borrow for an extended time if you need, and jack stands.....etc.
Thanks!! I'm gonna have to do some digging to try and narrow it down to what could be wrong and what I'll need to fix it.

Easier to check the segment first then the tranny. Mine stuck in 5th the other day and I got it to 2nd to get it home. Upgraded the segment to a newer model and smoother shifting now.

Latest posts

Back