2nd gear fix advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the forum, we like to see what the number is for any 1985 model. The 1985 bikes are numbered starting at #101, and go up from there. So if you have a bike having a VIN numbered before #1101, it's one of the first 1000 bikes manufactured for the US market, assuming the VIN plate is still there and says it's a US market bike meeting US regulations.
Mines #262 and says all what Fire-medic says-even a sticker down at the bottom of the frame by the right footpeg that says the pipe meets regulations which it didn't. I just talked to a guy at the post office 10 mins ago who was a Yamaha Dealer in Torrance Ca. He said he sold some of the first ones ever made and knew about the first 100 also.

Soo... just bought my first v-max its an 85, I could not test ride do to not having endorsement yet and very poor cold weather. I had been reading the posts about second gear and its concerns so I asked the seller about it, and I expressed great concern with the second gear issue. he said it never gave him any problems. Long story short got the bike home took it for a spin and at about 5500 rpm second gear just kinda slips out and then back in gear. I can ride easy through second and it wont slip, but its a sure slip if I hit it hard.
Questions:
Is this the second gear issue that I have read so much about? (I'm pretty sure it is)
I got a quote from a local shop of between $2000 and $2800. Such a wide variable because he said you can never be certain that everything comes apart nicely. So is that a reasonable price for the fix?
And lastly this will put me 5k-6k into bike. Should I make the investment, or do I count my losses and invest in a newer bike, like the 05 for $6K that is a couple towns away?
Hope hear from you guys.
Brad

I think I would talk to Sean on the 2nd gear fix. [email protected] It's something he knows plenty about. Sorry you have to deal with this on your new scoot, that sucks.

If my second gear ever scatters I'll find a nice 1st gen Venture 1300cc and put the Vmax top end on it, that extra 100cc and more highway friendly 5th gear would be nice.

If you want to fix it yourself, get Damon's dvd for a teardown/repair, might as well order the carb one too. If you order OEM parts through Sean Morley, you have the ability to get info on the work if you have a question. That may save you time and $$$.

Is the quote from local shop the going rate for the fix

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

It's probably accurate, but I'd still rather spend that (or a bit more) to have Sean do it. Unless that shop is a known V-Max enthusiast place, you could end up with some bad stuff happening. Such as, but not limited to: yamalube sealing up oil galleys during reassembly, improper shimming of the middle gear section, bolt torque issues...

I did my transmission replacement at Sean's shop with him. It was a great day. I'm sure there are guys in your area who would help do the job (as well as all of us on here for questions) with Damon's videos, which are comprehensive.

the shop definitely isn't a v max enthusiast. Mechanic seemed very knowledgeable and probably capable but with those prices I could probably ship my motor to sean. Any ideas on freight prices from Oregon? Thanks a lot for the input
Brad

the shop definitely isn't a v max enthusiast. Mechanic seemed very knowledgeable and probably capable but with those prices I could probably ship my motor to sean. Any ideas on freight prices from Oregon? Thanks a lot for the input
Brad

I shipped a motor to Sean and from Michigan it was $250 to take it to a truck shipping dock bolted to a pallet (with a padding and a cardboard box surround) in my full size pickup.

$250 one-way? Did you drive down to get it or ship it back, another $250?

I shipped a motor to Sean and from Michigan it was $250 to take it to a truck shipping dock bolted to a pallet (with a padding and a cardboard box surround) in my full size pickup.

Brad

How about just shipping the transmission to Sean? If you could disassemble it yourself you'd save some $$.

Well I got my gears back from John at PCW, got em in and the motor back in the bike.
Another warm weekend in the forecast. Im sure that when I get my bike buttoned back
up we will be back to winter here in Denver.

Attachments

• 20170226_152545.jpg
    20170226_152545.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170301_185830.jpg
    20170301_185830.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170304_223414.jpg
    20170304_223414.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 51
How about just shipping the transmission to Sean? If you could disassemble it yourself you'd save some $$.

I actually just got in touch with Sean. Thats one of my options for sure, I'm tossing around a few ideas. Might count my losses on the 85 and invest in a newer v max. Either an 06 from Sean, an 05 from his friend mike, or an 05 here in Oregon. Thanks for looking out though. Sean has been a huge help in my time of slight buyers remorse on my 85.
Thanks
Brad

Why don't you try to find someone who can help you with the teardown & rebuild, fix it, ride it for a season, and consider selling it after that? Maybe you won't need to buy newer, and you have the satisfaction of doing it on your own. There ought to be some member who can help you with it where you live. An operable 1985 is the 'good' year to have, as it's the first year. I think all of us who were old-enough to be around when it was released, will recall the rumors that floated around about the initial year's production. It's been a topic on here in the past. The closest thing I think I could compare it to was the Kawasaki Blue Streak 500 two-stroke triple cylinder in 1969. Plenty of dealerships saw the Mach III's go out the door in the a.m., and return to the dealership in the afternoon, on a wrecker, after an enthusiastic owner looped the bike, because he couldn't handle the sudden wheelie-prone nature of the two-stroke powerband. My '71 was much-quicker than my roommate's brand-new Sportster 1000.

If the rest of the bike's in good shape, and only second gear is needing replacement, (though until you split the cases you don't know what you'll find) you can fix it, ride it for awhile, and maybe sell it either next year, or towards the end of the riding season. Spring is better than fall for selling a bike in the snow belt, as we know.

Why don't you try to find someone who can help you with the teardown & rebuild, fix it, ride it for a season, and consider selling it after that? Maybe you won't need to buy newer, and you have the satisfaction of doing it on your own. There ought to be some member who can help you with it where you live. An operable 1985 is the 'good' year to have, as it's the first year. I think all of us who were old-enough to be around when it was released, will recall the rumors that floated around about the initial year's production. It's been a topic on here in the past. The closest thing I think I could compare it to was the Kawasaki Blue Streak 500 two-stroke triple cylinder in 1969. Plenty of dealerships saw the Mach III's go out the door in the a.m., and return to the dealership in the afternoon, on a wrecker, after an enthusiastic owner looped the bike, because he couldn't handle the sudden wheelie-prone nature of the two-stroke powerband. My '71 was much-quicker than my roommate's brand-new Sportster 1000.

If the rest of the bike's in good shape, and only second gear is needing replacement, (though until you split the cases you don't know what you'll find) you can fix it, ride it for awhile, and maybe sell it either next year, or towards the end of the riding season. Spring is better than fall for selling a bike in the snow belt, as we know.

Thats an option. Big factor for me is time. I'm spread thin as is, got a 15 month old son, his mom and I both work with no daycare of any sort so we do the tag in and out for watchin the kiddo, and with spring approaching Ive got projects on the house bout to kick off. I'm sure not too different from a lot of guys on here. I think I'm just gunna ride it for now, enjoy it. The slip or gear skip thing it does isnt too bad and I can ease through a bit of the gear with no problem. Obviously it aint gunna get any better so eventually I either do it myself, or get it done by someone(probably be sean). Im in Oregon so if there are any fellow Oregonians hit me up for a ride or possible tranny tear down.
The rest of the bike is real clean and doesn't show her age badly at all. I guess if any one might be interested I'd take offers. Honestly I'd LOVE to get into the 06 Sean showed me but to do that I really gotta be out of the 85. Anyone can email me if they may be interested in a clean 85 with a bad second gear.Not sure what I'd take, just have to catch me at the right time and maybe get a steal of a deal. Until something happens I know I'll still ride it.
[email protected]

Brad

Thanks for the positive outlook too, I've been letting the fact that the seller straight up lied to me make me lose sight of the good things about the bike.
Brad

I got my bike recently sight unseen. I did do some research into it but it arrived pretty ugly, oxodised and pissed oil all over the left caliper on my 2 hr ride home after a friend bought it down in his van. He was coming down racing.
The owner definitely talked the bike up if not lied to me. That will teach me to let my cynical guard down.

I was a bit pissed off but it rides ok, sounds awesome and Im having fun learning some new stuff and refinishing the alloy.

I have the bub issue too and am renovating the house. Oh and we had a 7.8 quake here a few months ago. That doesnt help the sleep much.

So I decided shit happens, move on and all that.
This doesnt fix your trans issue but might help your take on it. Hey you have a V max. They are bad ass! And an 85 is cool!

And you got a RED one, the fast color!
My bet is if you rebuild the gearbox, doing the work yourself, the value of the bike will go up more than the cost of the repair. The second gear problem is pretty well known, and people would definitely pay more for a bike that was repaired. Save any receipts as proof.. Take pictures of it while it's apart.. My bet is that you're gonna fall in love with the bike after you get it fixed and ride it a bit, and it isn't going anywhere... Good luck. And remember, the guys here are the best knowledge resource for the VMax on earth.. Everyone would be willing to help you out.

And you got a RED one, the fast color!
My bet is if you rebuild the gearbox, doing the work yourself, the value of the bike will go up more than the cost of the repair. The second gear problem is pretty well known, and people would definitely pay more for a bike that was repaired. Save any receipts as proof.. Take pictures of it while it's apart.. My bet is that you're gonna fall in love with the bike after you get it fixed and ride it a bit, and it isn't going anywhere... Good luck. And remember, the guys here are the best knowledge resource for the VMax on earth.. Everyone would be willing to help you out.

I really appreciate the positive thoughts guys. Thanks much
Brad

Back