2nd gear fix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of a 2nd gear fix I did today.
Problem of second gears is actually 5TH gear driven dogs that mates to 2nd gear driven internal pockets.
I welded the dogs with cobalt rods (tig) and even built up the dog height to give it some more engagement .
Next step was to surface grind the faces to the new height and then set up the gear
in the spark eroder with a rotary table. The rotary table is packed up slightly on one side so that the dog teeth are now at an angle relative to the gear face which helps gear engagement.

The dogs are now sparked with a copper electrode to the right depth. Hard to see in the picture the electrode in action so I have a simple jpg pic to show it.

I did also reclaim the pockets in second gear (driven) this time with just a simple round copper electrode.

The divisions are precise and even so the both parts will engage properly.

Total cost = Zero :scooter 1:

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 105
  • Part1.jpg
    Part1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 106
great information. what was the angle for the rotary table in the edm / eroder? I have access to these items at work. this the type of info needed for those toolmakers among us vmax riders.
thanks again, bill

great information. what was the angle for the rotary table in the edm / eroder? I have access to these items at work. this the type of info needed for those toolmakers among us vmax riders.
thanks again, bill

One end was packed up so that the face is inclined about 2.5 to 3+ deg roughly.
If the dogs are perpendicular to the gear face then there's a possibility for them to become disengaged , the angle makes them want to hook into each other and remain in contact. Massive angles actually make it harder to get out of gear.

Back