2nd Gear Poll

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dootin

Reaction score
I'm new here and looking to get into a 1st gen. Had a second gen for a couple of years, but had to sell a while ago and looking to get back into a max I can afford. I looked in search for poll results of the dreaded 2nd gear failure, but was unable to locate one. Can someone please start a poll, and if one has already been done, please show me the way. Thx.

What are you wanting to know? How many have had it done? It's not happening to all the bikes by any means. We have done up a number of members transmissions on here but still far from everyone.

I had to do mine, but I have a feeling it was due to the mental capacity of the previous owner much more than the shear strength of the actual gear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Maybe he is meaning the original gear selector . :ummm:

Wasn't it updated in 96 ??? its been awhile and ive been out of the loop since the Tbird , but my ole 92 Max had that prob until I replaced the selector .
Cant wait til Friday ....

In a way it could be interesting to have a poll on 2nd gear failures, with age of bike and mileage at time of failure - maybe some pattern could emerge?

Although I reckon the answer is: bike abused = fail, bike looked after = no probs.

I have an 85 with a laundry list of previous owners. I would estimate the mileage around 30k and it has no issues (odometer was swapped by Kyle prior to getting my hands on it). I don't take it to the drag strip but I do run it hard especially in 2nd around town, can't let another bike or car get the better of me :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

89 here with no 2nd gear issue. 2nd gear has been hammered too. I have two other engines I've taken apart lately. An 85 with all new gears, probably had a 2nd gear issue. And another early model with no issues, looks original.
Steve-o

2 for me........

65,000 on '86
50,000 on '95

Not a derrelic by any means but am apparently a bit hard on 2nd gear. Most popular gear for me between 20-40mph or so plus I like jacking the suspension all the time............

'99
Blew 2nd after 40,000 miles and about 200+ 1/4 mile passes

I don't think the Vmax, since the update back in ??, is any more prone to this than most other bikes, 2nd gear is always the most abused gear in a bike, if one is to fail it is almost always 2nd.

I blew second out of 2 V65 Magnas also...

1988 & 1990 no problems and don't expect to.
I ride fast sometimes but never abuse my bikes, and being an transmission engineer know the consequences.
I'm not saying all failures are all the owners fault but generally if you thrash it you will have a much greater chance of failure.

The harder it's ridden the more likely to have a failure. ANY year can have the issue. In fact the 85 "recall" transmission has a stronger gear though weaker engagement design.

Sean

1988 & 1990 no problems and don't expect to.
I ride fast sometimes but never abuse my bikes, and being an transmission engineer know the consequences.
I'm not saying all failures are all the owners fault but generally if you thrash it you will have a much greater chance of failure.

I think the three I've blown out were directly attributable to me:biglaugh:

Super hard 1-2 shifts over and over, and an occasional missed shift, can't help but beat the shit out of the dogs

94 with a Pingle air shifter I got from Sean, so far so good (crossing fingers that it stays that way)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

My personal experiance with the one vmax I have owned.(LOL) IS it does not matter the year like Rusty said 2nd is a weak point on most bikes. I have seen tons of bikes with 2nd gear issues all brands. If you actually research farther than a Vmax you will find this. I have been riding for years like a lot of people here & have seen it forever in many different bikes. If you ride like your grandmother chances are you might never see it if you ride like me or some of the other people here you might see it more than once or never see it. I had a 99 Max I bought with 8,000 miles on it & sold with almost 99.000 on it & spent almost every weekend at the drag strip & never had a problem, I have to say a lot of it comes down to people that do not know how to shift properly.

<<< can't shift properly, that's why I went with an air shifter... lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

my FL '86 bought with 37k and run to 48k - sold it never had a gear issue
my FL '00 bought with 24k, was fine when bought, some assholes abused it in the 11 months it took to get to me (long story) and the 2nd gear is gone at 24,000.
my TX '86 bought with 23k on clock, another couple thousands since and no issues.

Back