2nd gear problem plz help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the gears we make are thru hardened. Only surface hardening i can think of would be nitride and that would make it a dark black surface.
Have you done a rockwell test to verify?

All the gears we make are thru hardened. Only surface hardening i can think of would be nitride and that would make it a dark black surface.
"We" who? do you personally manufacture gears?

I would normally not suggest to harden all the way through (at least with the same temper). I want to say the rockwell we used to shoot for was 62-65 but it's been years since we did any cryo or heat treating of stuff. Leaving the "softer" inner core let you keep ductility while the harder crust was there for wear resistance.

I know robinson industries use "soft" gears. But they are drag race specific to with stand hard launches. Robinson is probably the best choice to have make a replacement gear set. Pretty much any fast bikes are all robinson.

I remember touring the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo Indiana in 1978. They used a carburizaation process to harden the gears. Wouldn't that treat a surface layer instead of the whole material?

As Sean describes, my understanding is that it is the surface of the gears that are heat treated and not the whole component.
For what sort of application would it be necessary to harden through all of the gear?

A bit of info. that those who are interested may find informative (and more) about the surface hardening steel attached.

Attachments

• Surface hardening of steel.pdf
    191 KB · Views: 10
Japanese sword technology should be used for Vmax gears...

Latest posts

Back