2nd Gear Slips Momentarily

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a problem with my bike, and it only occurs in 2nd. It is a 3/85 model, and when i give full power in 2nd, it quite often slips (just for a split moment) and then keeps pulling. someimes it can do this 2 or 3 times if i am really giving it a hard time. The bike has 112hp at the wheel so shouldnt be enough to kill a gearbox.
:ummm:

I thought it was the clutch, as it was all still standard. I have since replaced it, including the larger rear plat at the back. I used a full set of Barnett plates. It has not slipped in any of the higher gears (which is usually the best indication of a slipping clutch). Now the new clutch is fitted, it is still slipping in 2nd gear. I am only running 1 diaphram spring, as i could not get another one in the cournty (Oz). I have not changed the oil, or added any additives to the oil. Could an oil change help this, or is it an engine pull job for 2nd gear backcut.?

Any ideas..?:bang head:

Hi guys, i have a problem with my bike, and it only occurs in 2nd. It is a 3/85 model, and when i give full power in 2nd, it quite often slips (just for a split moment) and then keeps pulling. someimes it can do this 2 or 3 times if i am really giving it a hard time. The bike has 112hp at the wheel so shouldnt be enough to kill a gearbox.

I thought it was the clutch, as it was all still standard. I have since replaced it, including the larger rear plat at the back. I used a full set of Barnett plates. It has not slipped in any of the higher gears (which is usually the best indication of a slipping clutch). Now the new clutch is fitted, it is still slipping in 2nd gear. I am only running 1 diaphram spring, as i could not get another one in the cournty (Oz). I have not changed the oil, or added any additives to the oil. Could an oil change help this, or is it an engine pull job for 2nd gear backcut.?

Any ideas..?:bang head:

I hate to be the one to say it, but it sounds like engine pull job for 2nd gear backcut.

How long has it been doing this?

Mike

It has been doing it for a few weeks, but i have only had the bike for 2 months, so may have done it before. it was only running on 3 cyls when i got due to an ignition problem, so i have only noticed it since i have sorted out that and it now has full power.

I think it would be better to sell it than fix it, coz i dont know anyone in Australia who can do the job for a decent price.

Paul, only you can decide whether to fix or sell, but with some mechanical skill, there's plenty of info and step by step to do this job. Unfortunately, it is labor intensive one.

Good luck

Mike

Hey Paul. I think you can buy the back cut gears from PCW http://www.pcwracing.net but Morley's Muscle may also be able to provide these.

Pull the engine down and swap out the old set because labour is going to be the killer. Are you comfortable with tools?

Mick Hone Motorcycles have been recommended by some local and U.S. based riders for there working knowledge of the V-max http://www.mickhone.com.au/ but I have no direct experience with them.

We have a VMOA member in Austrailia that possibly could help you out but he has many of his engine work done over here. I can undercut a transmission or even sell you a good used one if you wish. I also offer overdrive transmissions. EIther way it's not a cheap job to get the trans undercut but they work so much smoother when done. You're also going to need to probably replace the shift forks and possibly the shift shafts. It may even need a new shift drum. If you do the work yourself you can get it all done for less then $1000 (a lot less if we sell you a used trans).

Sean Morley

Thanks Sean. Can i ask on question..? Will it get worse by shifting hard into second, or by accellerating hard once in 2nd..? It only does it every now and then. Sometimes i can do a full 1/4 mile pass with no slippage in 2nd at all.. Other times it does it a couple of times...

It's just rounding of the dogs. It will get progressively worse and it will start poping out under light load eventually. You can always shift past that gear once it gets that bad. Keep in mind that all those little shavings are going to go somewhere. We've run them for a long time with bad gears though.

Sean

Hello,

Basically the problem becomes acute when you have 2nd gear connected and give it hard time while connected.

The immediate cause of the slipping is that the 2 gearwheels of the 2nd gear are not engaged as much (sideways) as they should be (due to bent shift forks etc.), and this causes the contact surface to be too small to transfer the full power. The transmission "escapes" the power peak at certain limit value and forces one gearwheel temporarily on side so that the contact disengages for a moment. The tension of the parts will move it back into place after short moment of slippage.

Naturally, changing carelessly into 2nd could cause the forks to bend more changing the condition worse...

I have 1/85 Max with the same problem. It is definitely better not to give too much throttle for it when in 2nd before it can be fixed. If you keep spanking it when in 2nd, the problem will get worse (rebuild will cost more) and riding could be even dangerous if something breaks and gets stuck between the gearwheels, possibly locking the transmission.

After couple of months it will be winter here (meaning about 6 months break for riding), and that is good time to rebuild the bike and do also some other bigger modifications. I'm surviving until that by avoiding the use of 2nd gear as much as possible, and when necessary, only giving slight throttle for it.

It is not so big problem, as the power is well enough to use 3rd instead. Well, the fun factor decreases a little though...

Regards,

AT

I have persisted with the bike, and think i will get it repaired if possible. Is there anyone in Australia (Brisbane) wishing to quote on doing the work, including remove and refit of the undercut gearshafts etc..?

Please call me on 0417 783 451 to discuss!

Ta

would being more Positive with shifting help 2nd gear problem ?

I have to ask a question here - is it possible to split the cases with the heads (and therefore the crank etc) still in the top casing - say by making an engine stand that tips it all upside down?
If not then it's a whole gasket set on top of the job, cost wise. If you're paying someone it will be pricey.
I will say though, there isn't anything difficult or complicated to these - there's just so much of it - bits everywhere!

Good threads there - the telling one was Shaun Morley's quote " of all the trans' stripped only comfortable re-using 3 of them"
I should have bought an xj900, or xjr13000....

Will look closely at those dogs, rings and selector. Anyone know the secret to undercutting them?

Back