2nd Gen front brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a 2009 2nd gen, and the front shakes when braking above 60mph. I don't think it is the rotors because under 60mph it is smooth regardless of pressure applied. Was wondering if it is typical of the ABS system. I've owned 2 other bikes with abs and they didn't do this.

+1 on the rotor buttons. I've had my 09 front brake pulse usually a hard grab at even 30-40 mph seems to correct it

Cleaned and lubed all buttons, cleaned and lubed slide pins for the pads. Still only vibrates above 60.

I had a wobble at 50-55. Had a hell of a time finding it. Turned out to be the tire. Don't know if it was bad from the beginning it wore bad from a bad balance.

Had the front off the ground. Calipers off and had a block close to the tire and gave it a spin. It was grossly obvious it was out of round by about 1/4".

Just a thought as something to check.

Was yours only vibrating while braking? Riding is smooth as anything just only the front brakes above 60mph, like 58mph smooth brakes, 60 plus it vibrates.

Updating the thread, after trying to clean the rotor buttons the right way and the wrong way (bolt through the center spinning it with an impact gun) I finally decided to get new rotors and there is no more vibrations. Sucks cause yamaha rotors are like $500.

Updating the thread, after trying to clean the rotor buttons the right way and the wrong way (bolt through the center spinning it with an impact gun) I finally decided to get new rotors and there is no more vibrations. Sucks cause yamaha rotors are like $500.
Wow! That is a lot of dough. No aftermarket rotors that were nice.

Could you figure out what was wrong with the old ones? Warped??

I didn't get them miked. But the EBC were around 400 and some China brand was about 200. I like to keep parts OEM on the really important stuff. I guess they where warped. I just couldn't believe it based on symptoms. But proof is in the pudding.

I didn't get them miked. But the EBC were around 400 and some China brand was about 200. I like to keep parts OEM on the really important stuff. I guess they where warped. I just couldn't believe it based on symptoms. But proof is in the pudding.
Thanks for the info. I run the EBC HH Pads front and back and been very happy with their performance. I have no experience with their rotors. But you generally can't go wrong with OEM parts.

I've never had to replace rotors before on any of my bikes. So I was real hesitant on them, I even checked and re torqued my steer ahead bearing. I like EBC but taking the front wheel off I wanted to be sure I was going back on with OEM just to be extra sure.

Back