2nd Gen Slow Start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaXXX

Reaction score
Started my '09 four times over the course of a day ride. It took longer to fire up with each successive start. To the point that I had that "uh-oh" feeling for a split second during the last start.
Stock cat and cans. Airbox mod and K&N. Gurued ECU.
Runs strong and idles great.
I keep the battery on a tender between rides.
Contemplating adding injector cleaner at next fill-up.
Ring any bells for you guys?

Yep probably a good idea, I had done that a couple of time’s on my 09 then changed plugs, fun little project lol back to normal.Unfortunately I don’t ride it as much as I’d like1055 total miles bad hip,not selling it.

Yep probably a good idea, I had done that a couple of time’s on my 09 then changed plugs, fun little project lol back to normal.Unfortunately I don’t ride it as much as I’d like1055 total miles bad hip,not selling it.
LOL love the "not selling it" disclaimer.
Thanks. Hope I don't have to deal with the plugs for a while. Watched a how-to video and two mechs (who knew what they were doing) had their hands full. What a complete PITA that's going to be.

They all start a bit slow.. Has ALWAYS annoyed me.. Seems like forever when you stall the thing.. Maybe Tim can give you some input..

I did NOT have the correct socket the first time I did the plugs. It was horrible trying to get the plugs out of the well.. VERY scary.. Anyway.. I now have the correct socket with the rubber retainer to hold the plug.. 3/8 drive 1" extension + universal. The clearance is VERY COLOSE [I had tape on the socket the first time and almost got it jammed in there] This worked perfectly for me. Exactly the right height to get the ratchet on, about flush with the head.. And the Universal allows for minor misalignment when coming out or going in.. I can't remember what I did on the R R plug if I went thru the frame.. But if memory serves, at least 1 plug was a LONG extension in and out..

I think getting the COPs off is just as much a PIA.. Even with Air Assist in the weep hole sucks.. I always think I'm going to break the dam things prying them off

Also, always do anti freeze at the same time.. Drain the anti-freeze and remove the upper L hose.. Much easier..

The sparkplug change was a blast lol, just have to take your time, the plug wrench supplied from Yamaha was a big help.The tip I read on this forum helped!, turn up my compressor up to about 125 psi, popped all caps off.Then removed radiator hose front left was the most difficult not much room.When I installed the new plugs I cut some gas line onto the new plugs to get them started. I think the next time will be a lot easier!

They all start a bit slow.. Has ALWAYS annoyed me.. Seems like forever when you stall the thing.. Maybe Tim can give you some input..

I did NOT have the correct socket the first time I did the plugs. It was horrible trying to get the plugs out of the well.. VERY scary.. Anyway.. I now have the correct socket with the rubber retainer to hold the plug.. 3/8 drive 1" extension + universal. The clearance is VERY COLOSE [I had tape on the socket the first time and almost got it jammed in there] This worked perfectly for me. Exactly the right height to get the ratchet on, about flush with the head.. And the Universal allows for minor misalignment when coming out or going in.. I can't remember what I did on the R R plug if I went thru the frame.. But if memory serves, at least 1 plug was a LONG extension in and out..

I think getting the COPs off is just as much a PIA.. Even with Air Assist in the weep hole sucks.. I always think I'm going to break the dam things prying them off

Also, always do anti freeze at the same time.. Drain the anti-freeze and remove the upper L hose.. Much easier..
This may be a stupid question but by universal, are you talking about those sockets with the little push-in pin things?

No.. it is like a drive shaft universal.. it is a flexible joint. If you can't get on a bolt straight the universal will really help.

Oh yeah okay. I'll have to add one to the toolbox then. I read universal and this came to mind...20210329_103307.jpg

Back