2nd Gen Vmax - VIN Breakdown - CA Model?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riderboy1961

Reaction score
Good Morning;

New Member - (was a member at Star Max for some years)

I am looking to buy a 2017 Vmax.

By using the VIN on his bike... How can I find if this bike is a "California Model" or Not?

Thank You!!

i don't remember how to decode the VIN to identify a Cali bike......but if you remove the left side cover with the key and take a peak the Cali bike will have the charcoal canister parts in there.

That's the only difference between a Cali and standard. Canadian bikes also ave the Cali emissions.

i don't remember how to decode the VIN to identify a Cali bike......but if you remove the left side cover with the key and take a peak the Cali bike will have the charcoal canister parts in there.

That's the only difference between a Cali and standard. Canadian bikes also ave the Cali emissions.

This bike is at a dealership. I emailed the sales manager and asked him if it Is or is Not a California Model.
I searched on this site and all over the internet and could only find VIN digit Decode information on the 1st Gen vmax bikes.

Thank you, Itgoes Sir!!

I just received an email response from the Dealership.

This 2017 vmax "IS" a California Model.

Can anyone tell me What All Extra is added to a California Model please?

Is it Just that Canister in the side cover?

I just did a sanity check and searched the Gen 2 parts manual PDF which is the same for Cali bikes and standard bikes.

"California" only shows up twice as an exception, both times related to the cannister.

I just did a sanity check and searched the Gen 2 parts manual PDF which is the same for Cali bikes and standard bikes.

"California" only shows up twice as an exception, both times related to the cannister.

Very Cool.

Probably just the canister and maybe 2 hoses total, no big deal at all (for me).

Appreciate it Sir!!

Thought I would do an Update on the info I found on how to identify a CA. model through the VIN.

Answer: I did Not find which digit would be the identifier digit for a CA. model vmax.

I did some research though... I found 3 other Brand New vmax 1700's for sale on Cycle Trader (found these on 01/18/2020) . All 3 of these vmax's are for sale at Dealership's in California. I wrote the VIN for each one below.

(new 2019) JYAVP29Y3KA000606 - Malcom Smith - Riverside CA.
(new 2018) JYAVP29Y2KA000631 - Wheels in Motion - Chatsworth CA
(new 2020) JYAVP2988LA000635 - Mountain Motorsports - Ontario CA.
(new 2017) JYAVP29Y3HA000579 - My New 2017 - CA. Model

There was a New 2017 for sale at a dealership in Tennessee and its last 6 were: 000578 - (built just before mine)

The digit in common for these 4 bikes is: _ _ _ _ _ 2 9 _ _ _ A _ _ _ _ _ _
I am thinking the letter: "A" is the California identifying digit?
(Each vmax is a different year though, so I may be way off.)

I believe the letter Y after the JYAVP29 is what identifies the California model (as opposed to ... VP29E for non-CA models in the US but also VP29N for Canada).
Of course this contradicts your data above as there is no letter Y after the JYAVP29 in your Mountain Motorsport example but I believe this must be a typo on their part. All the others have it.

I believe the letter Y after the JYAVP29 is what identifies the California model (as opposed to ... VP29E for non-CA models in the US but also VP29N for Canada).
Of course this contradicts your data above as there is no letter Y after the JYAVP29 in your Mountain Motorsport example but I believe this must be a typo on their part. All the others have it.

Maybe other folks will be able to chime in with their VIN and where the bike was purchased New to give us More Comparisons.

The Salesman at my Dealership told me that they get a Lot of New Motorcycles these days that are California Models (this dealership is in Oregon) and that they Prefer it that way now days with all the Government Emissions Regulations, just makes everything easier for them. They are a Big Volume motorcycle seller and probably sell to California Residents as well.

Maybe other folks will be able to chime in with their VIN and where the bike was purchased New to give us More Comparisons.

The Salesman at my Dealership told me that they get a Lot of New Motorcycles these days that are California Models (this dealership is in Oregon) and that they Prefer it that way now days with all the Government Emissions Regulations, just makes everything easier for them. They are a Big Volume motorcycle seller and probably sell to California Residents as well.

Makes sense. Unfortunately, you still have to pay CA taxes for a new bike if you register it in CA ;(
For what it's worth my (CA model) VIN # is JYAVP29Y49A000186 (so that works with my theory)

Also, a quick Goggle search for "new vmax Mountain Motorsports - Ontario CA" gave me this :
https://mtnride.com/Motorcycles-Yamaha-VMAX-2020-Ontario-CA-9bdc5339-f28e-43c3-b589-ab110135f57f
it lists the VIN as JYAVP29Y8LA000635 so I was correct the missing Y was indeed a typo - my theory works again :)

Back