2nd Generation Fork Seal Driver

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Canadiense

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size fork seal driver is used to do 2009+ VMax fork seals? Mine are not leaking but I figured it would be good to have the fork seal driver handy eventually. Are there any other special tools needed to make the job easier? I have chased down every possible angle or word phrase that I could think and only found one post who even mentions needing fork seals replaced. Having owned a 1st Gen and a bunch of FJs and an FJR and rebuilt forks, it is starting to seem like the 2nd Gens never leak. Hmmmmm. Seems weird.

Last edited:
I have all of the seals etc on hand to do mine, just havent done them yet. They arent leaking, just got a good deal on everything, so I stocked up.

Got the springs today. Getting them apart is pretty complicated but not overly difficult. Ran into an issue though...they're 10 inches long, stock is just a bit over 8 1/2". Taking the fork cap off was easy...hold the locknut at the bottom & use the preload adjuster to break loose. Once the cap is off, the locknut comes off & there is a sleeve over the damping rod adjuster that slides off. The problem is with the longer fork spring, that sleeve is too long. Wilbers told me the only adjustments to be made is with oil level...I re-use the stock spacers, no cutting. I don't see how that is possible & it seems obvious that it has to be cut. Even with that though, I don't see compressing the fork cap another 35 mm going very well.20220315_145601.jpg

Last edited:
Even with that though, I don't see compressing the fork cap another 35 mm going very well.
The spring rate shown for one of them is 10,0 N/mm so you are looking at a force of 35 kg to compress them just to get the cap on - dunno but that feels like quite a lot to me - my gut feeling is that I would have expected "gentle persuasion2 to get the cap back on so say so 1/10 of that but ????

The spring rate shown for one of them is 10,0 N/mm so you are looking at a force of 35 kg to compress them just to get the cap on - dunno but that feels like quite a lot to me - my gut feeling is that I would have expected "gentle persuasion2 to get the cap back on so say so 1/10 of that but ????

Exactly what I was thinking...these will be going back to Wilbers.

Okay, apparently there is a difference in the fork springs between 09-16 & 17-20 vmax....thought this bike was unchanged from 09-20??? I'm guessing the length is the difference. Anybody interested in 1kg springs? They're stiffing me for 25% restocking fee & return postage is on me too. Wished I could have reached through the phone & bitch-slapped the prick giving attitude about it being my mistake.

Last edited:
Okay, apparently there is a difference in the fork springs between 09-16 & 17-20 vmax....thought this bike was unchanged from 09-20??? I'm guessing the length is the difference. Anybody interested in 1kg springs? They're stiffing me for 25% restocking fee & return postage is on me too. Wished I could have reached through the phone & bitch-slapped the prick giving attitude about it being my mistake.
I have a leak on my right side fork that I’ve stopped by using a seal cleaning tool but I noticed a scratch on my tube that appears to goes through the black surface coating. It’s behind the short bug guard so you can’t see it and I’m not even sure it would be a problem with new seals but I was trying to look up the part I would need to just replace that black coated inner fork tube. Looking at the parts diagram it shows it like the tube is 2 pieces?? Very confusing so I don’t know for sure what I need. Usually you have an outer and inner fork tube, this appears to show a 2 piece inner and then the outer. Has anyone else seen the part diagram? I basically need an inner fork tube. Or maybe the scratch will be ok hopefully. I’m assuming the part number I need is 2s3-23110-01-00

Last edited:
Looking at the parts diagram it shows it like the tube is 2 pieces?? Very confusing so I don’t know for sure what I need.
That isn't two pieces...parts diagrams will do this sometimes to avoid having to show the entire piece so it fits on a page. It's part #2 & 23 on ronayers fische & I think it is what you need too. As far as replacing it or not, I'd give it a few rides & see if it leaks fluid.

Latest posts

Back