3 years later ..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
Well along time ago I was pretty much forced against my will to get rid of my vmax that I loved so much for the fact my body just wouldn't let me enjoy riding it again . All I can say is ive had some very scary health moments in which I even considered giving up riding all together . My Thunderbird is an awesome bike , great for 2 up and very economical and would kick a Harleys arse if it had to but my 1st love was always the bike my dad wouldn't let me buy when I was younger - the Vmax . Later on in years when I did buy 1 I went to the south island to visit mum and dad who at that stage were in a home . Riding down the road I saw my dad cruising down the footpath in his motorised wheel chair , he didn't know it was me until I took off my helmet . The first thing he said was " I hope that's the vboost model " , see dad was a biker in his time and had in his time bought a bike from and ridden with Burt Munro .
Fast forward 7 or so years my parents are now longer with us and my partner told it would be nice to get something to say mum and dad bought you that with some of their estate . A Vmax was back on my mind again after 4 years from getting blown off the road and injuring my already curved spine . I started trolling the auction sites in japan as this is where I had bought my 92 from , then the other sunday I just happened to go on trademe which is our version of ebay here in NZ and came across a couple of Vmax . 1 Partically I like as from a glance it looked like my old 92 , same colour , same polished scoops , same fog lights - FUCK ME it cant be it had the same number plate .
So I rang the guy and he was getting rid of it as it was too much for him so I told him that I was the original owner and that I was keen on it so he said he would hold it for me to take a look at on Friday as it was the only day he could do it . Luckily for me I didn't work Fridays so as the week dragged on I couldn't wait .
Friday morning we were off and when I saw it again that was it , was in nearly the same condition as I had kept it . Well off for a test ride and haven't ridden 1 since I thought I just better go slow but next minute there's that oil light - old habits aye .
To cut a long story a little bit shorter on a cold rainy day I rode it home , almost like the first day all those years ago but once again I didn't care .
This was the perfect gift from my mum and dad but this time its a keeper .

Here's is some pics , 1 taken in June 2010 and 1 taken on Saturday which another love my german shepherd Max .

Attachments

• p260610_13.300001 (2).jpg
    p260610_13.300001 (2).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 2013-08-31 12.12.09.jpg
    2013-08-31 12.12.09.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 168
Awesome story. I guess it "was meant to be" that you got it back, a bit like selling your soul and then getting a chance to buy it back.
......now see I have big plans for your bike, let's start modding:eusa_dance:

Now THAT is a fantastic story. We should have an award for such a thing. And I love the pics with the puppy and the dog now - unreal!

So glad you got your bike back, great parting pressie from your parents, and even better it's still in the same awesome condition.

Congrats :)

Great story thanks for sharing. It's funny I've had a dozen bikes over the years and have never felt the same way about the others like I do about my vmax. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Welcome back !!!!!!!

i MAN THAT'S GREAT ! .... AWESOME ! ...... THAT'S WHY I BELIEVE IN " FATE " AND I NEVER SAY NEVER ! .... I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR V-MAX , FOR BEING REUNITED !.... :punk:

I happen to have a Ph.D in mathematics. I'd estimate the probablity of you running into your bike at that time at that location as literally 1 in a million.

Especially in the timing of your parting ways with you parents. Cheers!!! I think you are on a "streak." And when you are on a streak on this, don't fight...just go with it!!!!

And keep the dirty side down!!

jackster

I've had a few vehicles over the years I didn't really want to get rid of, but had to, and told myself someday if it ever hits the market again I'd snatch it back up, had the opportunity once and didn't take it. Still kick myself for it, glad to see you made the wise choice there. Thanks for sharing!!

I'm glad to see you got her back in the stable Matt! I had a Yamaha DT250 ('75 I think) that I bought new off the floor in early summer of '76 for ~$475. A year later I sold it to buy my first car ('69 nova w/ holley 4bbl/ headers on a 307!) I went looking for it 5-6 years later but could not find the guy or where he moved to. If I went to buy one today it would cost 3x as much used!

I happen to have a Ph.D in mathematics. I'd estimate the probablity of you running into your bike at that time at that location as literally 1 in a million.

Especially in the timing of your parting ways with you parents. Cheers!!! I think you are on a "streak." And when you are on a streak on this, don't fight...just go with it!!!!

And keep the dirty side down!!

jackster

I couldn't pass this one-up. I do not have a Ph.D in anything. My wife is the math major, that, and electrical engineering. But, I do like to crunch some numbers, if the subject is interesting to me, or I am paid to do it. In this case, the former, and not the latter!

First, the 2012 population of New Zealand is about 4.43 million. (stats.govt.nz)

The registrations for 2012 vehicles which are classified as 'motorcycles' (two-wheeled vehicles, petrol-powered, >60 cc engine) for both islands combined is 6680. That gives a ratio of ~662 people/motorcycle. (ibid.)

Evidently, motorcycles are expensive to buy and to own, as the average age of registered motorcycles is 15.75 years. What that tells-me, is that people in NZ tend to maintain and to keep their motorcycles longer than in the USA: remember, these statistics are for registered motorcycles. So, when you see a motorcycle in NZ running down the road, it is one of a relatively small cohort of vehicles. Assuming we are observing legally-operated motorcycles, the chances of seeing one particular motorcycle in NZ is one-in-6680.

Know anyone in your circle of acquaintances who has died in an automobile accident? The odds of dying in the USA in an auto accident are 1:6700. (besthealthdegrees.com/health-risks/)

So, the chances of seeing a specific motorcycle in NZ is about the same as-dying in a car crash in the USA.

The actuarial risk of dying because of an accidental gunshot in the USA is 1:6000. That is a slightly-greater incidence than we discussed about seeing 'gunrunner's' bike on the street. Know anyone who has died of an accidental gunshot wound?

How-about death by riding a bicycle? That's 1:6700, almost exactly the same. And, coincidentally, the same as dying in an auto accident. (Risk: A Practical Guide for Deciding What's Really Safe and What's Really Dangerous in the World Around You, Ropeik and Gray, Harvard University Press, 2002)

Hey, here-comes gunrunner now! A once-in-a-million occurrence!:biglaugh:

I have no life. :rofl_200::rofl_200::biglaugh:

I couldn't pass this one-up. I do not have a Ph.D in anything. My wife is the math major, that, and electrical engineering. But, I do like to crunch some numbers, if the subject is interesting to me, or I am paid to do it. In this case, the former, and not the latter!

First, the 2012 population of New Zealand is about 4.43 million. (stats.govt.nz)

The registrations for 2012 vehicles which are classified as 'motorcycles' (two-wheeled vehicles, petrol-powered, >60 cc engine) for both islands combined is 6680. That gives a ratio of ~662 people/motorcycle. (ibid.)

Evidently, motorcycles are expensive to buy and to own, as the average age of registered motorcycles is 15.75 years. What that tells-me, is that people in NZ tend to maintain and to keep their motorcycles longer than in the USA: remember, these statistics are for registered motorcycles. So, when you see a motorcycle in NZ running down the road, it is one of a relatively small cohort of vehicles. Assuming we are observing legally-operated motorcycles, the chances of seeing one particular motorcycle in NZ is one-in-6680.

Know anyone in your circle of acquaintances who has died in an automobile accident? The odds of dying in the USA in an auto accident are 1:6700. (besthealthdegrees.com/health-risks/)

So, the chances of seeing a specific motorcycle in NZ is about the same as-dying in a car crash in the USA.

The actuarial risk of dying because of an accidental gunshot in the USA is 1:6000. That is a slightly-greater incidence than we discussed about seeing 'gunrunner's' bike on the street. Know anyone who has died of an accidental gunshot wound?

How-about death by riding a bicycle? That's 1:6700, almost exactly the same. And, coincidentally, the same as dying in an auto accident. (Risk: A Practical Guide for Deciding What's Really Safe and What's Really Dangerous in the World Around You, Ropeik and Gray, Harvard University Press, 2002)

Hey, here-comes gunrunner now! A once-in-a-million occurrence!:biglaugh:

I have no life. :rofl_200::rofl_200::biglaugh:

That sounds impressive indeed , all I know is I never thort I would see my Vmax again not to mention own it .
I must video and post the sound of the exhaust as it has been decapped and bored out I hope it gets a warrant . :punk:

You actually knew Burt Monroe ? Wow. If you guys haven't seen "The Worlds Fastest Indian" you should. One of the greatest movies regarding motorcycles you may ever see. A fearless "Kiwi" at Bonneville. Good on yer mate, what a wonderful story. I'm truly humbled.

Chris.

Latest posts

Back