31 years of Yamaha

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HAD considered trying to shoehorn my kx500 engine into one of those.
I'll just stick with my stock fat cat for my balloon tire love. I jumped the big tabletop in my backyard with fattie (think it's 45 foot lip to landing) ONCE. I think It bounced almost as high as I jumped. I held on to it, but just barely.
Same size engine as the tw, pretty gutless.

The old:
ClickHandler.ashx

The new:

ClickHandler.ashx

I like them, but have never owned one.

The article calling the 1990 Suzuki DR350 the original 'dual-sport' gives no credit to the original dual-sport, the DT-1 Yamaha 250 of 1968. Sure, you can argue that the CL77 Hondas were 'dual-sport,' as they did the Baja run that helped to popularize the peninsula as a race (those actually may have been the little brother, the CL72-250 cc), but having owned a CL77 and then having bought a new 1972 Yamaha 360 Enduro, it's not even close for functionality. I'd say the CL77 is 70% street/30% off-road, while the 360 Enduro reverses that. The 360 was so-much more fun to ride off-road, and so much-more competent while doing it. Best thing for me is that I still have my original 360 Enduro, and a 305 Honda, but this one's a Superhawk.

I have a buddy with a '69 DT-1, owned since new in '69 and I think he would sell it to me if I pushed him on it but will wait until he is ready. He's had for nearly 50 years! Here's the pic:
Paul Coture 1969 DT-1 .jpg
The old:
ClickHandler.ashx

The new:

ClickHandler.ashx

I like them, but have never owned one.

The article calling the 1990 Suzuki DR350 the original 'dual-sport' gives no credit to the original dual-sport, the DT-1 Yamaha 250 of 1968. Sure, you can argue that the CL77 Hondas were 'dual-sport,' as they did the Baja run that helped to popularize the peninsula as a race (those actually may have been the little brother, the CL72-250 cc), but having owned a CL77 and then having bought a new 1972 Yamaha 360 Enduro, it's not even close for functionality. I'd say the CL77 is 70% street/30% off-road, while the 360 Enduro reverses that. The 360 was so-much more fun to ride off-road, and so much-more competent while doing it. Best thing for me is that I still have my original 360 Enduro, and a 305 Honda, but this one's a Superhawk.

Anything that clean didn't see the kind of use it was intended to get! My wife wants me to dump my collection of DT and RT bikes and parts, to 'clean up.'

I think I need to do a better job of packaging things waiting their turns in the restoration or use for parts scheme.

Anything that clean didn't see the kind of use it was intended to get! My wife wants me to dump my collection of DT and RT bikes and parts, to 'clean up.'

I think I need to do a better job of packaging things waiting their turns in the restoration or use for parts scheme.
I agree, if was mine that rear fender and taillight wouldn't have lasted long like my '75 which ended up being a rubber flap type of small light/ plate holder after too many wheelies gone wrong. The cops did not like at all since the plate was pretty much horizontal and covered with mud most of the time! Paul has a bunch of old stuff in pristine condition, I haven't seen it but he has a Chris Craft that is at his home downstate that is immaculate, as I was told.

Yep, I had too-much fun to keep my Yamaha 360 bike looking like it was just off the showroom floor. I raced it in enduros and scrambles in MI and hare scrambles in FL after that.

As for boats, one of my friends has a Century 17' V-8 inboard runabout he owned with another friend of ours, it's in CA now, but it spent the years in SW MI, and I've been fishing on it, lotsa fun. It used the same engine as the first Shelby Cobras, a 260 cu. inch V-8 Police Interceptor Marine Duty. It looks like this one: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/48890 Front cockpit and rear cockpit inboard walk-around. Yes, a wood hull, and the V8 sounds great, and has good pick-up and cruising.

I agree, if was mine that rear fender and taillight wouldn't have lasted long like my '75 which ended up being a rubber flap type of small light/ plate holder after too many wheelies gone wrong. The cops did not like at all since the plate was pretty much horizontal and covered with mud most of the time! Paul has a bunch of old stuff in pristine condition, I haven't seen it but he has a Chris Craft that is at his home downstate that is immaculate, as I was told.

Attachments

• Century 17 ft inboard.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 2
Back