38,000 kms / 24,000 mile services

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corrugated

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm continuing the 38,000 kms service on my 2004 and I'm at the brake / clutch fluid change section. The owners manual and service manual say to "replace the fluid, replace the oil seals in the master cylinder, calipers and release cylinder every 2 years" (I don't know if / when mine was previously done). It also mentions to replace the clutch and brake hoses every 4 years. The systems are currently functioning normal, this is all part of the preventative maintenance plan in the manual. Was initially going to just change / flush my fluids, but now am considering if I should do the other recommended part changes now as well. I do like the idea of changing to braided lines (Spiegler, etc) as I have used those products in the past with great success. What are your thoughts..?

Thanks in advance!

20210929_162213.jpg

I suspect there are millions of bikes out there which still use the OEM hydraulic lines and seals until the bikes are scrapped. However, if you find your brake fluid in the reservoirs gets dark quickly, this is likely an indication that the hoses are wearing internally. Replacing the brake fluids every riding season helps to remove water from the system, preserves the boiling point, and prevents system corrosion.

Yes to upgrading to DOT 4 and some type of better lines, and in front, HH rated brake pads. Replacing the caliper seals, the clutch slave cyl seals and the master cyl piston seals is a good practice, however, I think many riders may ignore them until there is a functional issue which arises. If you do that replacement on that schedule, you likely will never be stranded when those parts fail, on a less-rigorously maintained bike.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back