3rd to 4th gear problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admwolf

Reaction score
I have an 85 with 19K miles. In the last few rides I have gone on, it has slipped out of gear when shifting into 4th twice. First time it was cold, so I was taking it easy. The second time I was in it pretty good. It's like it goes into 4th momentarily then slips out entirely until I shift up into fourth again. Is this an issue where I can update the shift segment to fix or do I need to dive in to the transmission? Thanks.

If it was the segment you wouldn't be able to shift at all. I think the gear dogs/slots might be worn. Could be shift forks too.

Is it critical that I fix it immediately, or is this something that can wait. Like I said, It's only happened a couple of times.

it could be the very early stage of the segement coming apart. It's worth looking at. If it is that part it will fail fairly quickly once it starts to come apart. If it is in the transmission you can probably make it through the summer and it will round the dogs more which will cost a bit more to fix then it may have otherwise (not a ton more unless the gear completely fails which is not common).

Sean

I too think it is the segment starting to go bad! The tin thing could just be bent up funny,the pin hasn't fell out yet.It is definately easier to just pull the clutch basket to see than to pull the motor then look at the tranny.

Do it soon before you get stranded somewhere in 5th gear or end up bending your shift forks trying to force it to shift.

The basket comes out easily if you have an impact gun for the big nut.No need to hold the basket then.

I just fixed my segment. See the post on Tranny Problem. Make sure you order a segment for a 1999 up. My dealer didn't even know it was changed and would have given me the same segment as is in the bike (1997).

Back