3rd Vmax...must be something about them I like

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbojones132

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Riding my 3rd Vmax (all Gen 1's) and think I was a member on this board a long time ago but it didn't seem to have my email address anymore...time to get back on the board.

Made a number of mods on the first Vmax and kept repeating them every time I replace the bike:
self-made handlebar riser
V65 Magna handeblars
extended throttle cables
windshield
progressive fork springs
corbin seat that I love/hate
detachable driver's backrest - self made
Works suspension shocks (had Progressive 440's but didnt like them with either standard or HD spring)
Virago engine guards/Kuryakan hiway pegs
LED headlight
Venture differential
K&N filter (gone back to single; tried the 4x set and didnt like the throttle response)
throttle 'rest'
drilled OEM exhaust
probably other mods that I forgot about...

On the hunt for:

1) Corbin passenger backrest for 'newer' style Corbin Vmax seat or OEM bar/passenger backrest if they fit around the Corbin
2) semi-rigid saddle bags; rigid mount/backing but not GIVI-like looking

3) 20+ more HP with better throttle response; tried 1st Gen1 Vmax with ported head, meatier cams, VBoost removal w/individual filters, dynajet kit - yep, it made more power but pretty much just took it from low/mid and slid it higher; combine that with the taller overall gearing and the bike was like riding a 2 stroke; driving on the upper 1/2 of the tach all the time wasn't relaxing and then I spanked the crank - 1 Vmax finished so done with that approach. No one around here (Calgary, AB) seems to know how to build a big bore engine and cant afford spending more on a prebuilt than the entire bike is worth so guessing that's not an option.

Since it's been 20 yrs on them, riding style has toned down and moved into more of a touring setup. Tried a few bikes in between but always came back to the Max. Thought I found my new ride in a Rocket III Roadster until I fired up the Max one day and took it for a ride; realized I smiled more on the Vmax as it didn't feel like I was driving a tractor...so the R3 got the axe.

Glad to see there are still riders of the ol' Gal; figured I'd come back and troll around for a bit...ask a few questions and share a few learnings.

Last edited:
Hi Folks

Riding my 3rd Vmax (all Gen 1's) and think I was a member on this board a long time ago but it didn't seem to have my email address anymore...time to get back on the board.

Made a number of mods on the first Vmax and kept repeating them every time I replace the bike:
V65 Magna handeblars
extended throttle cables
windshield
progressive fork springs
Works suspension shocks (had Progressive 440's but didnt like them with either standard or HD spring)
LED headlight
Venture differential
K&N filter (gone back to single; tried the 4x set and didnt like the throttle response)
throttle 'rest'
drilled OEM exhaust

On the hunt for:

1) Corbin passenger backrest for 'newer' style Corbin Vmax seat or OEM bar/passenger backrest if they fit around the Corbin

3) 20+ more HP with better throttle response; tried 1st Gen1 Vmax with ported head, meatier cams, VBoost removal w/individual filters, dynajet kit - yep, it made more power but pretty much just took it from low/mid and slid it higher; combine that with the taller overall gearing and the bike was like riding a 2s stroke; driving on the upper 1/2 of the tach all the time wasn't relaxing and then I spanked the crank - 1 Vmax finished so done with that approach. No one around here (Calgary, AB) seems to know how to build a big bore engine and cant afford spending more on a prebuilt than the entire bike is worth so guessing that's not an option.

Since it's been 20 yrs on them, riding style has toned down and moved into more of a touring setup. Tried a few bikes in between but always came back to the Max. Thought I found my new ride in a Rocket III Roadster until I fired up the Max one day and took it for a ride; realized I smiled more on the Vmax as it didn't feel like I was driving a tractor...so the R3 got the axe.

Glad to see there are still riders of the ol' Gal; figured I'd come back and troll around for a bit...ask a few questions and share a few learnings.
What is a drilled oem exhaust
Hi Folks

V65 Magna handeblars
extended throttle cables
windshield
progressive fork springs
LED headlight
Venture differential
throttle 'rest'
drilled OEM exhaust

On the hunt for:

3) 20+ more HP with better throttle response; tried 1st Gen1 Vmax with ported head, meatier cams, VBoost removal w/individual filters, dynajet kit - yep, it made more power but pretty much just took it from low/mid and slid it higher; combine that with the taller overall gearing and the bike was like riding a 2 stroke; driving on the upper 1/2 of the tach all the time wasn't relaxing and then I spanked the crank - 1 Vmax finished so done with that approach. No one around here (Calgary, AB) seems to know how to build a big bore engine and cant afford spending more on a prebuilt than the entire bike is worth so guessing that's not an option.

What is a drilled oem exhaust? The K and N made a noticeable difference?? You sound like you know what you are doing and want. Thanks for any advice.

Drill out the rivets in the megaphones and remove the plates drill a few half inch holes around the exhaust hole and then put the plate back on with some flat spacers and sheet metal screws. Some people leave off the plate after they remove it so you're staring at the extra holes you drilled

Nothing but a little more sound no rejetting etc and you can use rivets to put the end caps back on .
But if you use a couple of flat washers on the rivet holes and use either sheetmetal screws or rivets, you get more of the deeper and a bit-louder tone.

The K and N made a noticeable difference?? You sound like you know what you are doing and want. Thanks for any advice.
Didn't notice any difference with OEM-style (oval) single K&N but I've had the same filter for 15+ years, cleaning/re-oiling it occassionally and it works fine so even with the higher initial price, it's been much cheaper than replacing the OEM paper filters several times over the years. I leave the top airbox Y-piece off; not sure if there is any difference but I prefer the slight increase in intake sound.

On my 2nd Vmax I had get rid of the airbox entirely and went with Stage 7 kit w/individual K&N filters and wont do that again; too much lag at low RPM and if I got caught in the rain the bike would run be affected. I DO miss the throatier intake noise...but not the lack of daily drivability.

I had get rid of the airbox entirely and went with Stage 7 kit w/individual K&N filters and wont do that again; too much lag at low RPM and if I got caught in the rain the bike would run be affected. I DO miss the throatier intake noise...but not the lack of daily drivability.
I have a stock internally bike (besides an undercut tranny) w/Dynojet Stage 7 and a K & N oval single-element filter 147.5 main jets, the Y is still in-place, and it runs well, even in rain, and our avg rainfall in so. FL is 60+ in./year.

what was indicated was Stage 7 and airbox delete...
Yes, I understand. My reply was that with proper tuning a Stage 7 Dynojet can retain the use of the OEM airbox in its stock configuration except for the air filter being a K&N oval style while having throttle response from off-idle to redline, and not having issues in rainy conditions.

I had a KZ1000-J which used two oval 2-spigot air cleaners, in the style of K&N air filters (pleated gauze & stainless-steel screen) which would, like yours, seem to intake some water riding in a driving rain, affecting the bike's operation. Once the rain stopped, they would seem to clear-out and permit normal operation.

Back