4", .22 LR, AR15 Barrel Testing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I joined a new range a little over a month ago. It's big and there's a lot to relearn (DIFFERENT STROKES). New people to meet and get established and somewhat known. The conditions were pretty bad, very hot and 100% humidity. I had a terrible time keeping my shooting glasses unfogged. this was the busiest day the range had since last December. There was little choice and I only had access to a front rest for shooting from the bench. Here's what I was able to do.

Back Story, Short Version
A friend and I decided that we we're going to have some 4", 22 LR barrels and collars made up. Premium Stainless Steel Barrels with a 1:9" twist and a 1/2" Atchisson Collars. The 1:9" twist is to put more stabilizing spin on the bullet in a short distance. It also builds a little more back pressure for bolt cycling with the short length. Being 4" OAL keeps all but the Hyper velocity rounds subsonic. That was about a year and 10 months ago that we started the process.

Well enter the Obama Scare. The machine shop had some companies ordering hundreds of barrels a month and our tiny order got kicked to the bottom of the pile. We ended up ordering more than we wanted just to get the job finished.
We've been doing some informal tests for the last month so I can get used to the range and their ways. I've run several barrels with similar results and so has my buddy. I ran my tests with a Semi Auto pistol lower (I don't have FA or an SBR) and he has run his tests Semi Auto, Full Auto and Suppressed.

ANYWAY
Last time at the range I kept a few targets and have a few my friend did. So here’s an “INFORMAL” report on the results thus far.

ADDED: Targets are shown much LARGER than actual normal size.

Dave

BARREL AND COLLAR
100_1320_zps9vsczwi0.jpg

COMPLETE PISTOL
100_1315_zpsmrd1b8pd.jpg

MY FRIENDS 15 YARD, SINGLE ACTION WITH WINCHESTER 555#1
22%20%2015%202.bmp_zpsvnz3pa9e.jpg

MY FRIENDS 15 YARD, SINGLE ACTION WITH WINCHESTER 555 #2
22%20%2015%201.bmp_zps6xfmuj0s.jpg

MY FINAL TARGET TWEAKING THE EOTECH WITH WINCHESTER 555. THE MAJORITY OF THE HITS WERE AFTER AJUSTMENT TO THE BEST I COULD MAKE IT.
30%20Round%20Target%20%2025%20Yard%20EOTech_zpsnbk8qjz2.jpg

CCI STANDARD VELOCITY AT 25 YARDS, 2-3/4" SHOOT N SEE
CCI%20Standard%20Velocity_zpsylkebfnm.jpg

ELEY MATCH EPS AT 25 YARDS 2-3/4" SHOOT N SEE
Eley%20Match%20EPS_zpsi7uncqrg.jpg

Pretty centralized grouping. Did you hand hold it on sandbags? The short barrel doesn't look like any provision for a tripod, but then this looks to be more of a machine pistol design. What level of kickback is there?

Handheld, resting on various items to get to the right level but I'm still shaky in my hold. Getting old sucks.

Any forward grip that goes straight down or a Bipod / Tripod is illegal on an AR Pistol.

I went back to the range today. Had to replace the Whimpy CMMG extractor spring.
The targets here were done with the original spring installed so I was clearing non extracted cases about every
other shot. Typical for companies today to achieve perfection and then try to increase their profit with cheaper parts.

Very modest recoil, quick recovery to next shot. It shoots as well as some of the less expensive 16" .22 Barrels.
Works well with a Silencer or a Full Auto Lower, I don't have but my partner does. 500 rounds Full Auto and the group is about softball size.

Works well with a Silencer or a Full Auto Lower, I don't have but my partner does. 500 rounds Full Auto and the group is about softball size.

Lucky, I still haven't been able to find bulk .22lr at a reasonable price. Definitely looks like you crafted a fun firearm.

I'd like to see one of those in .22 mag.

Better hide it well if you come across the Ma. line. The unfriendly gun state
rofl_200.gif
Not that funny, but laughing about it makes me forget what assholes run this state. Going to check out Vermont in October.A state run by real Americans.

We've tried to develop a functional .22 mag for years. There are still problems with feeding for an AR Platform. Magazines that work....

Have the capability to do .22 TCM's but the factory ammo Sucks functionally.... Has to be resized with a .300 Blackout or 5.56 die. Re-loader's delight though.

May not be appropriate to inject this here but I have a few more barrels and Atchisson Collars for .22 conversions, or a more complete upper. IM me if there's an interest here. I will give you a good price.

Latest posts

Back