40mm to 43mm fork swap - worth it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walktheline

Reaction score
I have an 88 max with the 40mm forks that need new seals / possibly bushings. Is it worth upgrading to the 43mm forks & triple tree (supposing I can find some for a decent deal.) Is the 43mm fork a big upgrade?
Thanks,
Brad

If it's really cheap them maybe (I have a few sets but I won't say they are cheap). Your best bet is to get our hayabusa caliper kit upgrade, progressive springs, adjustable preload caps, weld the crossover valve holes shut (getting rid of that crap) and some good fluid/new oem seals.

Sean

I have an 88 with the 40mm but put in Race Tech emulators and springs. Ditch the air suspension and it makes a big difference.

I put a low mileage 2000 43mm fork set on my 85- it had progressive springs in it when I bought it, and I put a UFO fork brace on it, and am very happy with the increased braking and better handling. I have a set of blue dot R-1 calipers I will eventually put on it- should make the brakes even better. I have approx. $400 in the forks, and I think it was worth the money, but it came complete with the factory rotors, calipers and a full set of stainless brake lines. :eusa_dance:

I have an 88 with the 43mm 1995 forks, progressive springs, voodoo fork brace and R1 callipers and love it. The only reason I bought a pre 93 is because the previous owner had already change the forks, I did the rest, plus heaps more.

If it's really cheap them maybe (I have a few sets but I won't say they are cheap). Your best bet is to get our hayabusa caliper kit upgrade, progressive springs, adjustable preload caps, weld the crossover valve holes shut (getting rid of that crap) and some good fluid/new oem seals.

Sean
+1, I did all this plus Ricor Intiminators (valving upgrade). Handles great and has better braking than a stock 93+ brakes. Chances are you will change springs and upgrade brakes to R1 calipers to get the best braking out the 93+ anyways. The only reason I would move to the 93+ fork setup would be to get the '02+ slider bug protectors and it's not really worth it, IMO.

Latest posts

Back