412 11" shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got the hd 11" 412's.Im 160 lbs and they are very stiff.Is there a part # for a softer spring.

I believe you need a longer ( 13 " ) rear shock , as your 11 " 412 doesn't have much in the way of travel. It should handle a bit better as well.

I've got the 11.5"shocks, I only weigh 140 Lbs. and find that I run with them on the 3rd preload setting. Are you on the bottom/lowest preload? I also find that mine seems to handle better in the corners a little bit stiffer, I don't get as much "wallowing" for lack of a better word. Otherwise, I don't know much about softer springs and of course if you go back up to 13"you loose most of your lowering affect. I'm not sure you can have the best of both?

Matt

Matt

I've got the 11.5"shocks, I only weigh 140 Lbs. and find that I run with them on the 3rd preload setting. Are you on the bottom/lowest preload? I also find that mine seems to handle better in the corners a little bit stiffer, I don't get as much "wallowing" for lack of a better word. Otherwise, I don't know much about softer springs and of course if you go back up to 13"you loose most of your lowering affect. I'm not sure you can have the best of both?

Matt

Matt

One solution is to get someone to make some shock brackets for you. You can have the longer travel of 12" or 13" shocks and drop the rear another 1 1/4". Maybe a little more if the holes are located a little differently. I'd want to be able to touch the ground flat footed on any bike.
9k=

Attachments

• shock brackets.jpg
    shock brackets.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 35
Thanks all,yeah I think the 11's are actually a Harley shock,so they may come with a heavier spring than the 11.5's made for the Vmax.

I just put a set of the 11.5" 412's on my max and have it set in the middle adjustment its not a bad ride, but I'm also 260:confused2:

I also put a set of progressive lower springs on the front and put 20w fork oil in them, now they are to stiff, gotta scale back to 15w oil.

Good luck

sent the 11" 412's back and ordered 12" 430's.talked to dude at progressive,he was very helpful and explained how the short travel shocks end up stiffer.they do not make a softer spring than the standard for that shock.

I'll be posting the 11" shocks for sale.I think someone a little heavier than me would get a smoother ride with them.They are as close to brand new as you can get.

My bike is lowered 2" front and rear with Progressives. I want to raise the suspension 1" front and rear, but I don't want to get into messing with the front end so I am replacing the rear shocks with 12" Progressives and the front will remain as is for now. If the bike doesn't look raised up in the rear I'll probably leave the front alone. I like the idea of having front and rear at equal height, but dont want to deal with the front!

My bike is lowered 2" front and rear with Progressives. I want to raise the suspension 1" front and rear, but I don't want to get into messing with the front end so I am replacing the rear shocks with 12" Progressives and the front will remain as is for now. If the bike doesn't look raised up in the rear I'll probably leave the front alone. I like the idea of having front and rear at equal height, but dont want to deal with the front!

Just installed 12" Progressives and the ride is much better than with the 11" shocks! The bike also sits nicer. Still looks level, but with more space netween the rear fender and tire.

Last edited:
Back