4x4 or diesel?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time finding the 4x4 van I need. It needs to replace my gmc 6.2 with more towing power.

So I might need to compromise and find one or the other and then install whats missing..

So what would you do? Pay big bucks and travel for exactly what you want? In my case, a 7.3 turbo 4x4 cargo van. Not easy to find and command high dollar.

Or find a more local 7.3 van and convert it to 4x4? ujointoffroad charges 17K for the service.

Buy one that is already done?
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...bodyStyleCodes=VANS&listingId=330683518&Log=0

Spend a ton of money converting a van to what you want

Buy a truck and outfit it with a camper or an enclosed utility bed. We have quite a few service trucks with utility beds. Its a mix of F350's and 450's. If you expect to own it for more than 5 years I would suggest an aluminum utility bed. The cost is similar to steel and no rust. We have had issues with rust on all makes of utility beds we have owned (Stahl, Reading, Knapheide, Royal). Most of our beds are enclosed and have a 6' indoor height.

Nah but we've got a friend here that has done it (Cummins into a Suburban) and we even have a shop here that will do it. I actually bought a cummins truck a couple of years ago from the salvage pool but sold it to my buddy before I ended up doing the conversion I wanted to do (into our 4 door 1990 Chevy Dually).

What I really want is a 2500 4x4 Suburban with a Diesel. May have to make one myself if GM won't step up and put the Alison/Durmax combo in there. Too freaking much money though since I am a cheap ass.

It has to be a van? A truck with a cap wouldn't do?

Just that diesel 4x4 trucks are everywhere, diesel vans are rare, diesel 4x4 vans are like a needle in a haystack, and are priced accordingly.

Investing $17k into a van that's worth maybe half that seems kind of silly...not sure if Ford even still makes diesel vans, but with how much you'd invest to buy or retrofit a used one, you might as well special order a brand new one.

Yea, I really want the van..

I found this one.. But I'm not a fan of the windows.. Looks like a church van.

This one perked my interest. Needs a 6bt swapped in though. Not sure how well a 1974 E-300 can tow though.

Yea, I really want the van..

I found this one.. But I'm not a fan of the windows.. Looks like a church van.

This one perked my interest. Needs a 6bt swapped in though. Not sure how well a 1974 E-300 can tow though.

A 302 from 1974 was far from a powerhouse, you're only looking at maybe 160-170hp? They weren't very torquey either. The 351 was what you wanted for a truck motor. I'd pass on that one.

The first one has diesel and 4x4, looks pretty bad ass to me. And if you don't want to look like a church bus, buy a truck. The International 7.3s run forever, it's Ford's transmissions behind them that all crap out.

I like both, but would settle for the Van without the roof rack

Attachments

• 4x4van.jpg
    4x4van.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 4x4earthroamer.jpg
    4x4earthroamer.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 5
This one's interesting. 4 speed manual. Damn windows but only two.

Which 4 speed manual would have been used with a 351 in 1985? And what better towing engine would bolt up to it? This might be a good one for a diesel swap with the clutch pedal already there..

Meh.. Just found out its a 1/2 ton

Last edited:
Back