5.5" rim max tire width

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfd1350

Reaction score
I bought a 1985 Vmax today. It has lots of mods including a 5.5" wide suzuki rear wheel. The tire is quite worn and should be replaced. I would like to know what the safe maximum size tire I can run on this wheel. Thanks, Tony

180 without a notched swingarm, 190/200 with but depends on offset and swingarm clearance. what do you have on there now and how much clearance is there?

Most mfgs. I found recommend a 6 " wide 17 " wheel to run a 190 .

5.5 " wide 17 " wheel , you're safe at a 180 .

Most mfgs. I found recommend a 6 " wide 17 " wheel to run a 190 .

5.5 " wide 17 " wheel , you're safe at a 180 .

i hadn't heard that, i thought 190 was at the end of the 5.5". i'll have to check with the shinko rep.

I bought the bike unseen, so I am unsure of clearance between current tire and swingarm. I know the swingarm has been notched and extended 3 inches. I was hoping to fit a Shinko 190/55-17 Stealth ultra soft, but am not sure if it's going to be possible.

I bought a 1985 Vmax today. It has lots of mods including a 5.5" wide suzuki rear wheel. The tire is quite worn and should be replaced. I would like to know what the safe maximum size tire I can run on this wheel. Thanks, Tony

Do you know for sure what model / year Suz rear wheel you have ? If so , you can look it up. If not , I would stick with the 180 as it will follow the curve of the rim , giving you the optimum amount of tire contact with the road . The 190 on a 5.5 " wheel will pull the side walls in / compress the bead width of the tire , and reduce the amount of rubber on the road.

Back